Upgrade MBP w/data doubler or get the new MPA?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air I iPhone 5 I iPad mini I iPod Classic I iPod nano I Apple TV
I have a 13" MBP with the following specs: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD (Late 2011)
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade it, meaning I'd like to remove the optical drive and use an OWC data doubler and use a 128GB SSD. Keeping the 500GB HDD for storage and making the SSD for the OS' faster boot time and overall performance.

My second option is I get the new 13" MPA, with 128GB SSD (use it for basic storage), and just use an external HDD for my other data (movies... etc.)

Reaction score
I have a 13" MBP with the following specs: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD (Late 2011)
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade it, meaning I'd like to remove the optical drive and use an OWC data doubler and use a 128GB SSD. Keeping the 500GB HDD for storage and making the SSD for the OS' faster boot time and overall performance.

My second option is I get the new 13" MPA, with 128GB SSD (use it for basic storage), and just use an external HDD for my other data (movies... etc.)

Before I answer your question, I noticed that you answered an earlier question I had... thanks a lot!!! (My post here is not merely a return favor; I'm a technician, and try to help out where I can.)

If I were you, I'd upgrade your MBP as you described, as long as you think 128GB is enough for your SSD. Don't know your financial situation, but from that standpoint, I wouldn't spend more money than I had to, especially when you can upgrade the MBP more than the MBA.

Also, are you doing intensive work on your MBP (Photoshop, video, etc)? If so, you might even consider upgrading the RAM to 16GB.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air I iPhone 5 I iPad mini I iPod Classic I iPod nano I Apple TV
You're welcome!

I considered upgrading, and I had actually written a reply where I said I guess I'll be upgrading. But then I thought about it and did some research, it'll cost me more to upgrade (to the specs I want) than to sell my MBP and buy the latest MPA. I got a good offer on the latest MPA for only $1,020. Then later I can just upgrade the SSD from 128GB, if I ever need to.
I don't do any intensive work anymore, not since I graduated from college, so I guess the MPA would be great.
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.