Alternative to Quicken 2013

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum and just switched to the new iMac.
I'm still currently running Quicken 2012 on my PC to keep track of my finances. Before I switched over, I was told that there was a Quicken product for the Mac. To my dismay all I found was some crappy, revamped software from 2007 and was told that there was no 2013 software for Mac!

So my newbie question is, what is a good or better alternative for Quicken 2013?

C

chas_m

You have basically two options:

1. Since all Macs can run Windows programs using a virtualizer, you have the option of running Quicken from Windows using that.

2. You can use one of the third-party programs like iBank or MoneyDance (and there are others as well). Most of them should be able to read your Quicken exported files, but all of them work very differently from the way Quicken works, so you have to get used to that.

Or you can use the updated 2007 version -- I'm told that for basic use it's perfectly fine, but I have no first-hand experience with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What chas means is to run your Windows version of Quicken in a virtual machine. Virtual machine software for the Mac consists of three choices:

Parallels
VMWare Fusion
VirtualBox

Of the three, only VirtualBox is free. You can download a copy from here.

Reaction score
I run Quicken in Windows using Parallels. Works absolutely great. Looks like Quicken is an Apple app on my Mac, allowing me to multitask with MS Office for Mac (Word, Excel) and all the other Apple software during Quicken sessions. I use Windows Internet Explorer with Quicken for bank sessions though, not Safari.

OP
A
Reaction score
I found Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac at their website. I assume this is what you're talking about.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, Parallels Desktop is virtual machine software as was pointed out to you in my last reply. However, why not try VirtualBox instead since it's free?

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm taking a look at virtual box now. Might try it out instead of spending 80 bucks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give it a try. But if you decide to buy Parallels, you can get it for $49.99 as it's currently being offered by MacWorld on special along with 9 other apps. See our Members Discount forum. LINK

C

chas_m

Also bear in mind that regardless of which option you choose, it will require a NEW copy of Windows not a previously-used one. An OEM disc is apparently fine as long as its a complete copy not an "upgrade" disk.

Reaction score
I use Quicken with Parallels 8 and it works fine. I also use it with windows 7. FYI I used my windows 7 disk that was previously used for my old windows laptop and it works fine.

Reaction score
quicken on Mac is not equal to the windows version. Use something like parallels for mac and use the windows version of quicken

Reaction score
Quicken for Windows to......?

You have basically two options:

1. Since all Macs can run Windows programs using a virtualizer, you have the option of running Quicken from Windows using that.

2. You can use one of the third-party programs like iBank or MoneyDance (and there are others as well). Most of them should be able to read your Quicken exported files, but all of them work very differently from the way Quicken works, so you have to get used to that.

Or you can use the updated 2007 version -- I'm told that for basic use it's perfectly fine, but I have no first-hand experience with it.

Can anyone compare Quicken for Mac Essentials with MoneyDance and iBank--quality, ability to import from Quicken for Windows 2003. All I use it for is checkbook records and categorizing for taxes. I don't download/reconcile and don't need budget or investment tracking.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can anyone compare Quicken for Mac Essentials with MoneyDance and iBank--quality, ability to import from Quicken for Windows 2003. All I use it for is checkbook records and categorizing for taxes. I don't download/reconcile and don't need budget or investment tracking.

If your needs are that simple, then Quicken, MoneyDance, and iBank are overkill. I use "CheckBook" by Splasm Software available from the Mac App store: $14.99 for the standard version and $19.99 for the Pro version. It does everything you need in the standard version and imports from Quicken for Windows or Quicken for the Mac.

Very easy to use and there are trial versions you can try before you buy.

Reaction score
CheckBook looks good

I use "CheckBook" by Splasm Software available from the Mac App store: $14.99 for the standard version and $19.99 for the Pro version. It does everything you need in the standard version and imports from Quicken for Windows or Quicken for the Mac.

Thanks for the advice. I looked at it and it seems to be what I want. I'll have a couple of other people look at it too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Personally I use YNAB "You Need A Budget". It works equally well in Windows or Mac format. It's a great tool for keeping track of your finances, especially if you do not need to track investments, and in my opinion it's one of the best budgeting programs on the market.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well I downloaded VitualBox and set it up. Pretty simple set up. Running Windows and finally Quicken 2013! Thanks to all for the advice!

Now que the Office Space scene.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.