MacBook Air or MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
I'm deciding between buying a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro, and it's quite difficult, for a few reasons:

1) Finances - Money is tight, and as I am overseas, and travel to other countries every few months, I have to be very careful. I could save up and even buy a rMBP by the end of July, but that leaves me basically broke, something I refuse to be.

2) Performance vs Design- I crave the performance of the MBP, but absolutely love the design of the MacBook Air - thin, light, easy to carry around. I'm no slouch by any means; had a MacBook Pro before, and it was okay to carry around.

Here is what I would use either computer for:

A. Storing around 30,000 photos (I have a DSLR camera). In regards to space, my photos right now are like 120GB, so having a 256GB SSD would be fine.

B. Video editing - every few months, I shoot HD video, import into iMovie, and then edit and render.

C. Internet, word processing, etc. - the obvious.

Inclination tells me to just save and get a MBP, but I'm using a Windows computer right now (no offense to any of you who like or use Windows, but I have nothing good to say about it). It's a real burden having to use it.

But like I said, I really like the MBA, and if I can get by with 4GB of RAM, I would be happy. Can I get by with 4GB, or do I need to go 8? (In the US, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but here in South Korea, Apple products cost around $200-$300 more than in the US.

My thought is to get the MBA as a tie-over until I can save up for a better Mac, hoping that it would "quench my thirst", so to speak. What are your thoughts on this matter? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air I iPhone 5 I iPad mini I iPod Classic I iPod nano I Apple TV
I'd say go for the MBA.
"I crave the performance of the MBP, but absolutely love the design of the MacBook Air - thin, light, easy to carry around"
Don't underestimate the performance of the MPA, and on the MPA the 4GB of RAM is already fast enough (remember this is running on SSD which makes up for it being only a 4GB RAM), just bump up the SSD to 256 for more storage space, and you should be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.