Brand new switcher

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have just switched to Mac, literally, yesterday. 13" MacBookPro Retina, 2.6Ghz, 256Gb flash. I have used Windows machines exclusively for years but know many folks that use Mac and sort of chuckle when the see me on Windows machine. I take no offense, it is what I have used and been used to for years. I am excited at learning something new, and maybe more difficult, unlearning what I know so as to not expect this machine to work like a Windows machine.

I have browsed the forums just briefly, but already see alot of folks willing to help and some really useful info for starting out.

I look forward to my time here!

Matt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Read through our Sticky posts which you can find at the top of each forum and our Blog Posts. Enjoy your stay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome again.
Dont be afraid to ask questions and there is never a stupid question, only stupid answers so ask away.

The years of knowledge in these forums is of great value and has got me to where i am over the years.

And last but not least, enjoy yourself learning your new Machine. As you delve more into it, you will see the OS is set up in a logical way and will not be that hard at all.
If there is a piece of Windows Software you need, there is now probably a Mac version ir something similar that will help you out.....

Cheers

C

chas_m

Sounds like you have the right attitude to conquer anything -- Mac, Windows, whatever.

Congrats and keep us posted on your progress and any obstacles.

Reaction score
welcome matt (no pun intended ...welcome mat???)

im new here also, and also an ex exclusive windows user so i do know where you're comming from.
i would highly recommend you read chas-m's " my essay for switchers and newbies" (link located in his sig above)

lots of good advice there.
look forward to hearing how you get on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
Welcome, I've lurked here for years before joining and found most of the information I needed in the stickies and using the search feature. Would have been easier if I would have just jumped right in as I've seen there is a wealth of knowledge and helpful people around here. Congrats on your new mac.

Reaction score
Hey mat, welcome, I have been a mac convert for two years now, and just love anything Mac. Can be a totally different world, lots of exciting new stuff to learn. You won't regret it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks much for the kind words and encouragement. It certainly makes the transition easier. I can already see the synergy between the Mac and the iPhone and it is amazing. I am trying to get to learn the basics of how the machine works before I add any software or apps to the machine. I have read a handful of the posts and stickys and have found some really valuable info. I'm still a liitle baffled by the fact that no AV is really necessary. Viruses are one of the biggest battles on a Windows machine, so to not have to really worry about it is a relief. I understand that I still have to be diligent and pay attention to where I go and what I put on here, but it is one less "headache" to have to worry about.

I cant wait to get more involved not only with the machine but also in the forums!

Have a great Friday all.

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Matt,

One of the things I say to Windows users is, "You don't realize what a pain it is to have to fix a Windows machine until you don't have to do it anymore."

Welcome aboard.

OP
M
Reaction score
HAHA, you are absolutely right. I can now use that time to actually getting to know the machine instead of running scans and being concerned all the time!

Thanks.

Matt,

One of the things I say to Windows users is, "You don't realize what a pain it is to have to fix a Windows machine until you don't have to do it anymore."

Welcome aboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.