Router, Airport Extreme & Network Attached Storage

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to set up my small Mac network. I have an existing Westell 7500 DSL modem/wireless router. I was considering purchasing Airport Extreme Base Station and a Synology NAS (+ internal hard drives).

I want the Macs to be able to wirelessly access the data on the NAS. I also want to automatically do backups (Time Machine/Capsule?) Is the Airport Extreme unnecessary? I've been told I can't use the Airport Disk feature of the Airport Extreme for an NAS, that I need to connect the NAS to a router.

How would you suggest I set this up?

Thanks,

Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You dont need an airport extreme since you already have a router which you can connect the NAS to

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. So, if I attach the NAS to the router via Ethernet, I presume then I should be able to access wirelessly via the Macs that storage, correct? (Sorry, this is the first time I will be working with NAS).

The only thing I lose then is the remote backup? Or can I buy a Time Capsule unit and attach it to the router to remotely back up my Macs?

Thanks . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.