can't change app store account

Reaction score
sorry for the essay but i'm putting as much info up to help you understand what's happened and to possibly come up with a solution

Right, basically to start me and my mum both have the iphone 4 (mine running 6.1 and jailbroken, her's 5.1.1 not jailbroken) and we have recently been forced to use the same laptop to use itunes due to mine dying.

last time i used itunes, i signed out of her account and into mine to do the upgrade to 6.1, everything worked fine until her itunes account appeared on my iphone in the app store, i signed out of her account and back into mine and again all was fine.

now a couple of days ago, randomly out of no where my app store says i have 3 updates, go into the app store to do them and it tries to sign into my mums account, i tried signing out of her's but it said i was in mine ?? i signed out off mine, logged into it again but it's still trying to sign into her account.

now i'v tried signing into her's and signing it out and iv tried the same with mine countless times now but it's not letting me use my account at all???

anybody got any idea's on how to solve this and get my account back onto the app store cause i can't use it while my mum's is trying to sign into it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What do you mean by it's' not letting you use your account?

Error messages? How are you trying to switch accounts?

OP
M
Reaction score
it's not letting me use my itunes account i originally set it up with, instead it's trying to sign me on using my mum's

i'v tried signing in on the bottom of the app store on my phone, no error message's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry, not to be perdantic but what do you mean it's not letting you?

Go to Settings - iTunes & App Stores (or Store, depending on iOS version) - touch the iTunes account ID - Sign out.

Now you can enter the required Apple ID and password - sign in

What part of that doesn't work for you?

As an aside you'll get fewer issues if you have separate user accounts on the Mac or PC you're using

OP
M
Reaction score
no worries mate, didn't take it as that

iv done exactly what you just suggested and that's the stumbling block, it's signed into my apple id the problem seems to be when i go to buy anything or update it tries to sign into my mum's, completely seperate apple id

we have seperate account's and when we use itunes sign in of our own id's but have only the one laptop between us, i think this is where the issue might lie but i'm not sure

OP
M
Reaction score
sorry mate i think iv just sorted it, i realised that the apps that needed updating both me and my mum had so i deleted them off of my phone and reinstalled, back to normal now :D

cheers for trying to help though, appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have separate accounts on the laptop?

It sounds as though you synced with using your mums account logged into iTunes and the updates are wanting you logged into that same account.

It's going to be a bit of trial and error to resolve as it's impossible to work out which apps on your phone are connected to which account.

It's a pain but my instinct would be to start afresh. However you can lose all-sorts of things doing that. In which case you can do it piecemeal. Everytime an app wants to update and uses the wrong account, delete it and re download using your account details.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beat me to it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.