MBP is it Dead?

Reaction score
Woke up this morning, turned on the MBP heard the fan come on and walked away for a minute. The screen remains black and no response from the keyboard (caps lock doesn't turn green). I've tried taking out the battery and plug, Shift while restarting.

I'm able to charge a USB device on it so I know there is power, just not a picture.

Any thoughts or is this now a doorstop?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
More info is needed. Model and year of your MBP? Do you hear the boot sound (Bong!) when you turn it on?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's a 2008 MBP 15 inch. I hear the initial sound but not the chime/bong right before the screen usually turns on. Tried booting without the battery, still no luck

Greatly appreciate any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
May well be logic board trouble. Close to an Apple dealer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the reply. It's a 2008 MBP 15 inch. I hear the initial sound but not the chime/bong right before the screen usually turns on. Tried booting without the battery, still no luck

Greatly appreciate any help

As Harry pointed out, it may well be the logic board. It sounds like your nVidia GPU died, a frequent problem for that model MBP. Apple had a special warranty program that would replace the logic board for free, however, that program has expired. I would contact Apple anyway and see if there's anything that they might do for you. Never know.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, from the response I got from Apple, I'm SOL.
Estimated cost to repair is nearly as much as a new one

You ever hear of this site before? m-electronicsdeal.com
They have very aggressive pricing but not sure if it is legit

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You ever hear of this site before? m-electronicsdeal.com
They have very aggressive pricing but not sure if it is legit

They appear to be a company based in the UK. Prices are too low to be realistic. I wouldn't trust doing business with them unless you could somehow be absolutely certain they were legitimate.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts, but wish someone had a good experience with them.
Read the rMPB pricing are coming down, hopefully sooner than later.

Thanks, again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.