Applications (or other Finder Folders) in Dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Today is my 1 month anniversary as a Mac user, and believe me, I've learned a lot. I was inclined to drag the Applications folder to the dock, with the expectation that I might end up with a cascading folder from which I could more quickly launch apps that aren't already in the dock. As I dragged it though, I noticed what appeared to be the "poof" cloud, and thought better of continuing my experiment. I doubt Apple would let me be that stupid, but better to ask than to be wondering how to recover from my stupidity. So, my goal basically is quick access to Applications and other Finder Folders from the dock, without actually having to fire up Finder. Thanks!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You have to drag it on the side of the trash can

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
You have to drag it on the side of the trash can

Hmm... I just tried that (several times), and it either ends up in the trash can, or "poofing" and vanishing. Fortunately, I see that it's easy enough to re-create it in the sidebar. Maybe I should be dragging it not from the sidebar? Let's see . . . Yes! I was dragging from the sidebar, rather than the Applications folder itsself. Thanks! That's an improvement, but is there any possibility of having what I'll refer to as an "exploding"/cascading menu pop out of the applications folder? I'd like to eliminate the extra step of having to launch the app, and then close the finder window.

Mark

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A right-click does it! Very slick! :)

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As does a long click! I had no idea that a "click and hold" did anything at all! Who needs two buttons? Whoa . . Ya gotta love us new Mac folks, eh? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea since all mac mice up until the mighty mouse were one button the click and hold took the place of a right click

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
also for one button mouse.. if you held controll down it woud "right" click for you aswell.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
also for one button mouse.. if you held controll down it woud "right" click for you aswell.

Thanks! Add that to my just learned "shift while clicking minimize" slo-mo trick, and it's been a good day. I think at least half the fun of a Mac (and Linux when I ran it) is that it's a break from the monotony of the same old O/S. Lots of new stuff to learn, tweak, etc. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
geekboy2000 said:
Thanks! Add that to my just learned "shift while clicking minimize" slo-mo trick, and it's been a good day. I think at least half the fun of a Mac (and Linux when I ran it) is that it's a break from the monotony of the same old O/S. Lots of new stuff to learn, tweak, etc. :)

Wow thats looks sooooo cool I didn't even know that. Learn something new everyday :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
geekboy2000 said:

i have had my mac for almost year now, and i never knew that. that is pretty cool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.