• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Really odd effect

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone can help with this (nobody else I've asked can!) but I've somehow created a really odd video effect. Here's a sample still from a DVD, where you can see that half the frame is lit by a camera flash, and half isn't!

venb.jpg

I count 36 'layers' which would give 16 lines per layer, at the normal DVD resolution. The effect is visible in camera flashes as here, or at any point where the camera pans.

The video was edited in iMovie, where the effect first appeared. All the source files were OK before editing, so I guess I must have set something up wrongly in iMovie. Although I've done a bit of work with video in the analogue days this was my first try at digital and I hope it won't be my last!

Thanks for your attention.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.