Calling all tech pros! Need some set-up advice/suggestions...

Reaction score
Figured this would be an amazing place to find some great answers to the conundrum in which I currently find myself:

Having some anxiety looking forward to something I've been patiently waiting on for about a year, ever since I had my apartment broken into and a brand-new MBPro stolen from it. At long last, I'm gearing up to return to whole+, and I'd love some advice from all y'all about how best to proceed.

The outline of equipment/plans:

iMac 27"
Airport Extreme
Macbook Air
2TB (expandable) Drobo 4-bay (hard-wired/non-wireless)
Samsung blu-ray stereo, Wifi/netflix-enabled, wireless rear speakers
Samsung 55" Wifi-enabled TV
AppleTV (optional at this point)

I want to have a set-up whereby I can have my Drobo - which is loaded solely with music - connected to the internet & shared amongst my iMac, my Mac Air, as well as my girlfriend's Macbook laptop... as well as incorporating iTunes Match to access Library out-of-home... Ideally I'd like to have my iTunes playing through my Samsung stereo in surround, when I choose...

Any advice on achieving these lofty ideas would be HUGELY appreciated. I can't say how excited I am to finally be looking forward to restoration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reconsider the Drobo. I've read that there are lots of issues with those when it comes to reliability. Synology's offerings would likely be a better choice.

As for the Samsung TV, I would reconsider that also. They pack their sets with "features", but picture quality is lacking. If you are considering an AppleTV, then I'm not sure what the point would be in getting a wi-fi enabled TV anyway. I'll point you to a site I like to reference when buying products:
Best LCD TVs - Top 6 LCD TV Reviews
Best Plasma TV | Top Picks and Reviews at ConsumerSearch

I'm also not sure about a Samsung stereo system either. You can probably do better, but it depends on what your budget is too. If you are getting (or considering) an AppleTV, then a Netflix-enabled stereo is pointless as a feature because it's on the ATV.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ha. Shoot. Thanks! However all of the things you warned against, I already have. So, I'm working with what's in place. Moved last June and kinda crunched to get that stuff... Wasn't in the financial position then that I'm in now. Oh well. Any tips for working what's here to achieve what I'm hoping?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ha. Shoot. Thanks! However all of the things you warned against, I already have. So, I'm working with what's in place. Moved last June and kinda crunched to get that stuff... Wasn't in the financial position then that I'm in now. Oh well. Any tips for working what's here to achieve what I'm hoping?

Well for starters, make sure you have a backup plan. Not just of the Drobo but your Macs also.

If you want to stream your music from iTunes to your sound system, then you will have to get an ATV. Alternatively, don't stream from iTunes and instead use alternative software that is supported with the software on your AV hardware (assuming your music is free of DRM). What exact model stereo/TV system do you have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.