Printer advice

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if i could ask for some of your expert advice and knowledge.

I work for a small design agency and our contract is due to expire on our printer. At the moment we have a Konica Bizhub C352 with a Fiery RIP. Now even though this printer is only about 4 years old, we have all upgraded our mac OS to 10.7 and now we cannot use the most vital features of this printer (print on A3 wide) as the printer software is no longer compatible with the latest mac OS.

Could I possibly have some suggestions as to what printer we should opt for, that is primarily compatible with mac operating system.

• Primarily mac compatible and for use with OS 10.7 and later
• We need a good quality laser or LED printer
• The colour to be pretty much spot on (although I know this is a big ask without a colour proofing machine)
• Needs to print A3 wide
• We will need a RIP
• Our annual contract

Any help on this would be much appreciated, I just need some independent advice rather than being hassled by a load of sales reps (their like animals when they discover you may need to buy something from them ;) !!).

Cheers

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since this printer will be in a professional environment...what sort of monthly duty cycle do you need (number of pages printed/month). If your business requires a lot of printer use...a personal or home printer model may not be adequate.

- Nick

Reaction score
as nick said
but also

in my exp epson and canon printers are best cost to quality ratio printer with canon being better for me.
canon are also very large in the printing industry covering everything from 4x6 selphy printers to huge wide format so chances are they have what you are looking for

as an initial recommendation have a look here

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys, yeah we have quite a big print run per month really as we're always printing off amendments and visuals/mock ups, hence why I am mainly after good quality prints. Our print runs vary quite a lot, depending on how many visuals are needed/ jobs in etc.

I think your right Nick, a personal home print will not be adequate, so it will need to be quite heavy duty and fit for the job. It will need to be quite quick as well. We will also need a RIP as we cannot be held up by progress bars on the screen.

Another thing I also haven't mentioned it that a duplexing option would be a massive advantage.

Not asking too much am I? :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another thing I also haven't mentioned it that a duplexing option would be a massive advantage.

Not asking too much am I? :D

For what it's worth...the $99 Brother home/personal printer I have has a duplexing option (which I use from time to time)...so this feature is not as "special" as it once was.

Regarding the printer. Most folks here probably have more experience with home/personal printers...but hopefully someone will have some recommendations for a more professional/business printer.

In the meanwhile...I would also suggest doing an internet search for some sort of "Business Class" printer review...where 3-4 well rated printers are reviewed & compared. These sort of articles are usually done at least annually.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.