Advice if moving from SSD/HDD to new iMac

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
From excitement to exhaustion. The former: a brand new 27" Fusion Drive iMac.

My Time Machine (TM) backup (BU) was from a 27" iMac with combined HD (SSD) & platter drive HD. As with most folks my personal folder, apps, settings etc was on SSD and all my large libraries (iPhoto, iTunes, Aperture, etc, etc) were on the HD.

So I was moving from a SSD + HD iMac to a fusion iMac. I chose TM to restore. After starting the new Mac, I chose TM and was faced with TWO drives - SSD and HD.

For reasons later explained, you MUST choose to restore from the SSD first. After restoration, you are invited to "continue" - DON'T. Use the back arrows to return to the "Select Disc" page. Then choose HD and do a second restore from there.

Then "continue" and the Mac boots up. Everything is there, but nothing is joined up. All apps, settings, Mail, Safari okay; BUT iPhoto, Aperture, iTunes, iMovies & Documents won't permit access to their libraries because "you don't have permission".

Now, what you have to do for EACH library and Documents is: locate library, use Cmd + I to get info. Click on the padlock to open (Admin PW needed). In place of "your name" I got "anon". Use the minus button to remove this. Then use the plus button which will open a box with" your name" included amongst other choices. Click on "your name". Then make sure you have read & write permissions against "your name".

After all this, all systems go. One further difficulty is that iTunes app couldn't find its library, so I had to locate it, use iTunes preferences>advanced and change the location of the library by browsing to the correct folder.

The reason for all this hassle, according to Apple Care, is that only the SSD has your identity. The HD thinks you are anonymous. In effect, you have to tell the folders restored from the HD who you are and give yourself read/write permissions. That is why you MUST restore from the SSD first and the HD second.

That was the "exhaustion" bit. So tedious.

Hope this helps. Admin please feel free to remove if you don't think it appropriate.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. Good information.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
One problem remains. Every time I copy, move or otherwise change files - Finder requires my Admin PW, or I'm asked to "Authenticate" with my admin PW. It always works, but is tiresome doing this all the time.

How can I avoid this, please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.