Word for Mac 2011 - Several Issues: HELP!

Reaction score
Dear Community,

I've looked through the forum and I don't think this has been asked before, but if it has, I hope someone can redirect me to the appropriate post.

I've been having several issues with Word 2011 in the past year, mostly related to formating, and I've usually been able to "fix" the problem by copy-pasting into a new document and keeping my fingers crossed.

However, this doesn't work anymore. Here are my problems:
- Footnotes : the number of the footnote does not appear anymore.
- Footnotes : the language of the footnote never stays to what I program into its style (it's the default language for my Word ... English Canada).
- Footnotes : this happens when the next problem happens, but basically, additional spaces formatted into the footnote appear between the separation line and the text, often taking up half the page!
- Formatting : Very often, when I put any text in bold, italic or - God forbid ! - colour, the whole document takes on that format ! I have to hit "undo" for just the desired text to change style. BUT then the spaces within the footnotes appear : 1 per "undo", every time.
- Headers & footers : the other "side-effect" of the formatting issue is additional spaces within the headers and footers; however, I can delete those, but they'll come back if I have to "undo" another crazy formatting change.

Those are the main important ones .... if anyone knows how to fix this, I would be forever grateful !

However, for those who might have experienced the following, is there a solution ?

- I use Zotero, but I also prefer to use the "focus" mode (my software is in French Canada, so not sure what the exact translation is, but it's when Word takes up the whole screen, with a soothing, not distracting, background (I like the black leather)) on Word. BUT Word systematically crashes whenever I use the Zotero add-on for citations. So I have to switch out of "focus" mode in order to cite ... so annoying !

- Concerning the languages, I'm an independent consultant and need to be able to switch easily from French to English and back, but it seems that Word doesn't like this. Anything I cut & paste gets switched to French dictionary .... grrrr !

Thanks in advance !

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've moved your post to a more proper forum (OS X Applications & Games); please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.