• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best Buy Job?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I never worked at best buy.. but It looks like it could be a good job.. I hear they get good discounts and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Well, I've heard horror stories, but you may as well try it out. It seems like it'd be a good job (I mean, in today's world, it can't possibly be that hard to sell electronics).

OP
B

BoingoBongo

I've heard good and bad. I know a few people who hated it, and I also know someone who ended up as a regional manager making very good money.

I think it could be a cool job, it's worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
try here: http://careers.bestbuy.com/

i cant imagine it would be that bad of a job and im sure the benefits are good...heck i get cheap healthcare stock options and 401k @ starbucks for working 20hours/week
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
coach_z said:
try here: http://careers.bestbuy.com/

i cant imagine it would be that bad of a job and im sure the benefits are good...heck i get cheap healthcare stock options and 401k @ starbucks for working 20hours/week
-chris

Ya, everyone who I talk to who's worked for Starbucks loves it. I may hate the fact that it's the face of the ever stupider popular culture that largely dictates (and screws up) our society, but it's a killer job.

OP
M

MadRhino23

My co-worker used to work at BB for a whole 2 weeks! He was hired on the Geek Squad... I really do not want to repeat what he said about the rip-off... I mean Geek Squad... so I will stop! :headphone :headphone

OP
J

JSchultz

I currently work at Circuit City, and worked at BB previously for about a year.

If you don't like sales goals, or having a sales manager down your throat all the time, pass on the job. CC used to be more lax, but they're heading in a new direction now. For instance, I was pressured today to do $8000 in sales in 7 hours. I only made $6000, and now I'm probably going to get coached.

I hate sales.

But you may not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Its more of a store to store thing. The Circuit City by me for instance, is crazy relaxed. I have 12 friends that work there. From a manager, 6 supervisors, and 5 cashers/floor employees. They are all friends as well. Lets just say, their paychecks are bloated and Im tempted to take the job there :)

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

PowerBookG4 said:
I never worked at best buy.. but It looks like it could be a good job.. I hear they get good discounts and such.

Yeah discounts ---- neighbor kid works there -- you know those 10ft USB cables that run around $30 ------ gets his for $2.50

OP
J

JSchultz

Graphite said:
Its more of a store to store thing. The Circuit City by me for instance, is crazy relaxed. I have 12 friends that work there. From a manager, 6 supervisors, and 5 cashers/floor employees. They are all friends as well. Lets just say, their paychecks are bloated and Im tempted to take the job there :)

Whereabouts are you? I think it could be district to district too. My district manager, my regional manager and sales manager are all new, as the last batch was promptly fired in an effort to change things around here. I wish it was as lax as it used to be :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I was offered a job at Bestbuy a year or so ago but didn't take it because they weren't really willing to work with my school schedule. I also knew three other people that worked there and asked them prior to making my decision. They all told me the same thing about scheduling. Discount wise is probably fine, but it isn't a set rate across the board, the percentage varies from item to item.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.