Time Machine Not Auto-Deleting Old Backups When Full

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This has me a little puzzled...

I'm using a Seagate Backup Plus for T.M. on my new 2012 iMac.

I'm using a 500 GB WD FW800 (purchased circa 2009) with my mid 2008 MBP (model just prior to the unibodies).

Problem is when my Seagate fills up with T.M. backups, it doesn't automatically delete the oldest. It just gives me an error message in T.M. saying it couldn't complete backup because there wasn't enough space on the external HDD. I have to manually delete the oldest one or two backups before it will work. I do not have this issue with the WD on my MBP. Both Macs are on 10.8.2 and have 99% identical apps/docs/photos/etc. The iMac was setup using the most recent MBP T.M. backup.

I just don't know where the problem could lie. I can't conceive how different hard drive brands would make any difference with T.M. not auto-deleting. Is there a setting I'm unaware of somewhere in T.M. preferences?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just don't know where the problem could lie. I can't conceive how different hard drive brands would make any difference with T.M. not auto-deleting. Is there a setting I'm unaware of somewhere in T.M. preferences?

No setting that I'm aware of, it should work with any drive. It works for me with a Hitachi, iOmega, and Samsung drives. I don't have a Seagate external.

Does your 2012 iMac by chance have a Fusion drive?

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
No setting that I'm aware of, it should work with any drive. It works for me with a Hitachi, iOmega, and Samsung drives. I don't have a Seagate external.

Does your 2012 iMac by chance have a Fusion drive?

No fusion drive. Regular old stock 1TB.

I'm tempted to re-format the external with Disk Utility and start over with T.M. just to see if it clears it up. But I'll save that for the weekend if I don't get any alternative suggestions first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.