Saving a picture to the disk drive, extension not used?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Ok I'm still "new" to OS X in a way, I've been saving some funny pictures of animals, etc that I find online and I noticed that I always have to add the extension of the image (image.jpg) or the file is not saved properly and it doesn't show a preview in Finder. It still opens in Preview fine but otherwise can't be used by other apps like photo editing apps. I have to add the .jpg (or whatever) to it. Is there a way to force Firefox or whatever it is to allow me not to have to enter the extension and it auto-add it itself?

In Windows you can save a picture from online and it just saves it with the extension added without you have to do anything. Linux, too from my experience.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think a lot depends on where you're getting the images from. I go to several sites that offer license free images that we use for our bulletins and flyers and they're always downloaded with the *.jpg extension. And that's using either Safari or Chrome.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think a lot depends on where you're getting the images from. I go to several sites that offer license free images that we use for our bulletins and flyers and they're always downloaded with the *.jpg extension. And that's using either Safari or Chrome.

Hmm... I've been downloading only from cheezburger.com (not to put the images online elsewhere but for my own amusement.) I'll try other sites. Can you suggest one of the sites you use so I could try it there? I wonder if it's a problem with Firefox beta, which is what i'm currently using.

Brittany

EDIT TO ADD::::

Ok it's Firefox with the issue. I opened Safari, went to cheezburger.com and downloaded an image and it saves properly. GRR. Time to see if there is a bug report for this issue. :) Thanks!

C

chas_m

Thanks for letting us know. I was befuddled by your original post. Now I know not to run a FF beta for a while ...

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm Well I noticed that if I type in a new name it obviously removes the original name of the file (including it's extension) and if I don't retype that extension it won't save properly. **In Firefox and Firefox beta** So I don't know. I guess I just have to make sure I always add the extension if I start typing when the whole name is selected.

Reaction score
I think Firefox follows the OS X practice of hiding the extension so if you rename the pic the extension disappears. I've never had any problems with pic downloads but I rename after in Finder.
It also might be the web site not using extensions though I've never had any problems with Cheezburger.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried in Firefox stable and I have to type the extension IF I type over the already highlighted file name for it to save properly which bugs me. It should have only the identifier of the picture highlighted OR it should not add the .jpg to the end of the file name in the save-as dialog and hide the extension.. But oh well. I'll just have to work around it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.