MacBook A1181 Display issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5” iMac 3.6 GHz i5 & 13" MB Core 2 Duo
I'm relatively new to the forum am looking for some help. I've searched the forum but couldn't find info on my specific problem.

I have a 13" MacBook (Mid 2007) MacBook2,1
Model No: A1181 Order No: MB063LL/A
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo

Display does not light up when booting up and the lid is fully open. If the lid is closed to 10 degrees open or less, the display lights up. Display goes black when when lid is opened. Screen icons can be seen with bright light. Display will light up after 5-10 minutes. External display works fine.

Once the display lights up, the lid can be closed for hours and the display will light up immediately when the lid is opened.

Although the MacBook is a Core 2 Duo, it uses 4-wall cable 922-7612 (determined when the fan was replaced).

Is this an inverter cable issue or a an inverter board issue?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the lid is closed to 10 degrees open or less, the display lights up. Display goes black when when lid is opened.

Is this an inverter cable issue or a an inverter board issue?

Sounds like the cable to me. If it was the inverter...I don't think the display would light up at all (regardless of display angle).

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I have ordered a new cable and will advise.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replacing the inverter cable solved the problem. Thanks for the advice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replacing the inverter cable solved the problem. Thanks for the advice.

Awesome...congratulations! Always nice when a plan comes together!!!:)

Also...thanks a ton for the update. It's great when we get a conclusion to the story!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shortly after my last post, the MacBook has traded back to my son who took it to class in a backpack riding a bicycle (we have two A1181's). When he got to class, the display was normal (he had not powered it down), but needed to reboot after software installation. After reboot, the display had shrunk in from the right and a black vertical strip appeared 1" in from the right. However, the display on an external monitor was normal.

Therefore, we swapped hard drives again and I took possession on the MacBook and used it on an eternal monitor when needed. Recently, the MacBook was booted up after being powered down for a month or so. The display was completely normal for an hour, then started flickering. Now, the display is very dark, shrunk from the right & bottom and has a vertical strip 1" in from the right of the shrunken display. The display is partially "tiled". The backlight no longer comes on when the lid is partially closed.

What did I screw up 6 months ago? The inverter cable (922-7612) was purchased from a reputable dealer - $29.95.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What did I screw up 6 months ago?

Nothing! You (or your son)...got 6 months of use out of it! That tells me problem #1 was solved.:)

Maybe what's being experienced now is a 2nd problem.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like there may be another cable that was either damaged previously or possibly when you swapped the inverter cable. There are several cables that go from the logic board to the display: power cable, video cable, etc. Suggest taking it apart again and look to see if another cable(s) are damaged or being pinched off. Use the instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the responses. The display has been screwed up since one week after replacing the inverter cable 6 months ago. The exception was for about a hour 2 weeks ago when the display was normal when booting up after the MacBook had been powered down for a month or two.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the responses. The display has been screwed up since one week after replacing the inverter cable 6 months ago.

Ahh...that's a VERY different story. Why did you wait 6 months to tell us about it??;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am a procrastinator when it comes to working on laptops and the MacBook could be used as long as it was connected to an external display. My son's needs have been covered using my A1181 with his hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.