Apples New iMac ???

Reaction score
Hi

just wondering what anybody's take is on the release of Apples new iMac ? I myself am not overly keen on the new back design, as i thought the earlier model looked and felt more solid. Also having to connect an external optical drive via USB to run all software and DVDs gives a sense of disconnection. :(

C

chas_m

Software is all downloads now. Video is all downloads now. Ditto music.

I'm not saying there is NO use for an optical drive, but except for specific (and shrinking) groups of users there is VERY little need for an optical drive. I have two ... the one built into my MBP and an external one I got back when I was making a lot of DVDs. I don't do that much anymore and so have very little need for the drives. I suspect my experience is typical.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
I think Apple have got their marketing strategy all wrong. With the 21 inch model its not possible to upgrade RAM meaning you have to buy the 27 inch to upgrade. Also both models come without an internal optical drive meaning again at more expense! you have to purchase a separate external optical drive, NOT a good move for Apple.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The new iMacs have been selling really well even with the contraints that you've mentioned.

The 21.5" iMac comes wit 8GB of memory and for the vast majority of users, that is more than sufficient RAM. if you are going to be doing something more intensive and think more RAM is necessary, then you upgrade to the 27".

Optical drives are going the way of the dodo for most things, virtually everything is available as a digital download these days and most people have external HDs or NAS' to save these files..

Again, all of this has been discussed ad nauseam in the 14 pages that Nick pointed to..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hardly new news and the day of the optical drive is behind us. Remember the outcry whe Apple did away with the floppy - they got that wrong too according to some.

Reaction score
Agree with you on all 3 counts, MusicMad.

And yes, both sides were discussed ad nauseam in those 14 pages.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Not being keen on the new iMac how would i go about purchasing the previous model NEW! Now that all the stores are stocked with the latest iMac ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not being keen on the new iMac how would i go about purchasing the previous model NEW! Now that all the stores are stocked with the latest iMac ?

One place to try is Apple refurbished section. Apple's refurbished computers are just like new. You have to check often...as the inventory can change hour by hour.

Since you're located on the Canary Islands...it's kind of difficult to suggest "brick & mortar" stores (local stores). If you're ok with e-Bay...you may find some folks selling new iMacs with an optical drive.

I would also suggest "scouring" the various internet stores known for Mac products (Amazon as well)...to see what you can find brand new.

Of course there are lots & lots of used iMac's available.

If you REALLY want an previous style iMac...brand new may be tougher to find. Used will be easily available. So expectations may need to be adjusted if new (previous model) iMacs are difficult to find.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.