Word (Page Breaks) - PDF

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am not sure there is a solution for this but, I am having a problem with Word 2011. When I have a document that has page breaks (landscape and portrait pages) upon creating a PDF, the document is split into multiple documents where the page breaks are. I am looking for way to PDF the document as a whole but have not had any luck.

One solution was to go into Page Setup, set the settings to Word and apply to the whole document (which seemingly works) but, the whole page is converted to portrait so the landscape pages (which have tables) run off the page.

Has anyone found an App that can fix this problem?

Running:
Mac OSX 10.8.2
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
MS Office 2011

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First... I moved your post here to the correct forum, you posted it in the mobile apps (iOS) forum.

I'm going to have to experiment a bit and get back to you with this. I'm assuming when you "print to PDF" from Word 2011, that "Preview" is providing the print service?

I'll see if I can get it to print properly with both Preview and Adobe. I can see where it would be awkward for a document done up in both portrait and landscape to print out as separate documents.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you!

My process is:
File>Print>PDF>Save as PDF>Save. If I print preview to Preview, it does the same thing, creates multiple PDF documents where ever the page breaks are.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm back after doing some experimenting.....

I ran into the same problem as you. As soon as I split a Word document into several parts; portrait and landscape, they were saved as two separate documents by Preview and printed as such.

This normally wouldn't be a problem with less complex documents as you could always join them together. However, a document with page numbers, section breaks, etc, would turn out unmanageable.

I currently don't have a Windows VM up and running or I would experiment to see if Word 2010 along with Adobe or Fox PDF is doing the same thing. Unfortunately I don't have the Adobe Mac version to test with.

I'll see if I can find a work around and if I do, I'll post back to this same thread. In the meantime, if you print your document as a Word document it'll be OK, it's only when you print to PDF that it exhibits that behavior.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.