I tried installing windows on my Mac, that resulted in an error.

Reaction score
After trying to install windows on my Mac, the computer froze. I shut it down by holding the power button. When I booted it up normally, I got a message saying: "No boot device. Insert boot device then press anything to continue" well, something like that. After booting my computer while holding the "alt" key the firmware password showed up (I can't remember my firmware password).
My question is:
Is there a way I can fix my computer by correctly installing windows and doing something from there.

I want to avoid opening my computer and resetting the ram.
If I wanted to to open my computer and reset the ram, will the windows part disrupt the process?

Note:
I don't want windows anymore I just want to remove the firmware password lock and to continue using Mac OSx normally.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, If you don't remember your EFI password, you're going to need assistance from Apple. That's one of those that you absolutely should not forget.

Bring it to an Apple Store, make sure you have proof of ownership. Pulling the CMOS battery will have no effect, so don't bother opening it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

From what I know, removing the Firmware lock can be done by entering the proper password and then disabling it or taking your Mac to an Apple store and proving ownership..

Were you trying to install Windows through Bootcamp or something else??

OP
O
Reaction score
@Raz0rEdge yes, I tried installing it using boot camp.

One small detail,
I bought my Mac from Virgin Megastore and there aren't any official apple stores where I'm from.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And you DID put a firmware password on it once you purchased the Mac right? How new is the Mac? Our usual advice to get past firmware passwords is to visit an Apple store, if you don't have one near you, a call to Apple might be in order to figure out the best way forward..

OP
O
Reaction score
I don't exactly remember putting a firmware password but I assumed that it was in the setup procedure. I bought the Mac around last December.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't exactly remember putting a firmware password but I assumed that it was in the setup procedure. I bought the Mac around last December.

The EFI password isn't configured by default. In fact, you have to go through a very specific procedure to configure it. It's not something you can stumble into by accident.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.