MBP base screws

Reaction score
I see that my 2011 MBP is missing two of the tiny screws that hold the base plate on. I can only assume they aren't glued in, so easily fall out. I'll glue them in when I get some more.

But the question is - how do I get these screws? I only need a couple, of the short ones.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for that - I'll try.

I hadn't heard of Applecare when I bought the machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I hadn't heard of Applecare when I bought the machine.

All Apple computers come with 12 months of Applecare upon purchase. Extended Applecare can be purchased (within the first 12 months)...which will extend Applecare to 36 months (from time of purchase).

Applecare covers manufacturing defects only...not dead batteries (unless it is due to a manufacturing defect), not accidents, not liquid spills, etc. Sometimes Apple will cover things that we don't always expect...but this is on a case by case basis.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I ... I'll glue them in when I get some more....

Don't "glue" screws in.. whether it's on your Mac or on anything else.. Get some Locktitie for screws/threads.. Use the Blue kind, not the red.. especially on a computer..lol.

I can't imagine needing Locktite for the screws you speak of, but.. to each his own ;)

OP
P
Reaction score
Well ... two HAVE fallen out!

As to Apple Care, I first heard of the available extension when my machine died at 14 months old - when it was no longer available. I have since checked the paperwork I received with the machine (bought from the Apple Store), and there was no mention of being able to extend the warranty.

Reaction score
I thought you only got 3 months Apple care? I'm pretty sure I only got 3 months with the option to purchase 1 yr :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
3 months phone support - 1 yr warranty

with option to extend it for another year and have phone support for the duration

except in Australia who gets 2 years now

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As to Apple Care, I first heard of the available extension when my machine died at 14 months old - when it was no longer available.

If you didn't think/know about the Extended Applecare until 14 months old...then Extended Applecare wouldn't be an option anyway...since the initial Applecare period expired after 12 months.

You've been a Mac-Forums member since May 16, 2011. We discuss Applecare quite a bit...thus I'm 100% positive this Applecare info was mentioned at least a handful of times (probably more) during the first 12 months of your MBP ownership.:) Sometimes it pays to read all threads.:)

I have since checked the paperwork I received with the machine (bought from the Apple Store), and there was no mention of being able to extend the warranty.

Sometimes it's up to the user to do the research.;) There are a lot more things the paperwork probably doesn't mention as well. If the paperwork mentioned everything...just think how many pages that would be!;)

- Nick

p.s. Luckily missing these two screws is really not a super big deal. Thank goodness it's not something much more serious that effects the functioning of the computer!:) It's possible (even with Extended Applecare) that Apple may not have replaced the screws anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple replaced them for free if you took it to the apple store. The y wouldn't be obligated nor expected to.. but I've seen them do things greater than this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I work for a service provider, and we replace missing base screws free of charge. I'd expect Apple to do the same. The only exception is when screws have been removed from inside the Mac. Base screws usually come with blue loctite substance on the threads.

OP
P
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm over 700 miles from the nearest Apple Store, but I'll certainly go in when I have a chance.

I'm more used to the UK way of doing things than the US, and in the UK it is the retail seller who is responsible for warranty issues. There is law which restricts a manufacturer's ability to foreshorten a warranty period to an arbitrary length, and instead both sides must consider what is "reasonable". In the UK I think I could probably have held out that 14 months total life before a major failure is NOT reasonable. And of course I would have been arguing with a retailer at their own premises, not a giant corporation based in another country.

This approach is probably why I didn't seek an extended warranty when I bought the machine, and given that one was never mentioned verbally or in print I never gave it a thought. I was certainly surprised when at 14 months I phoned Apple to ask for assistance and was told quite bluntly that as I hadn't bought the extended warranty I was on my own. Click! And all I was asking for was advice on what to do, where to go.

Incidentally, I see no sign of Loctite on any of the remaining screws.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately I'm over 700 miles from the nearest Apple Store, but I'll certainly go in when I have a chance.

Given this distance...you would probably be better off shopping e-Bay...and purchasing some screws. Lots of folks selling various sets of Apple laptop screws on e-Bay. Of course if these missing screws are no big deal...then you could just keep "chugging" along without them.;)

Incidentally, I see no sign of Loctite on any of the remaining screws.

Every base screw I have removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro had the blue Loctite on them. If you don't see any blue Loctite on the remaining base screws...that would certainly sound like an "Apple Error" to me.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Steve Bell - I used to work in Aylesbury (lived in Oxford) and your name seems to ring a bell (sorry!). Do you work locally or just live there?

OP
P
Reaction score
Nick - another aspect of living in a remote location is that eBay is effectively not available. I used to have an account and used it extensively, but when it became usual to demand payment by Paypal that became very difficult for non-Americans to deal with. And when it became normal for delivery only to be possible to your registered address (in the USA), it all became impossible. I can't use MacMall either, as they insist on payment with a US card and mine isn't. Fortunately Amazon remains totally usable.

Paypal have held several hundred $ of mine for several years, refusing to give it back unless it goes to the account they took it from. Since that account and indeed that bank no longer exist that is an impossibility for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...it is too bad that you have so many limitations. But on the other hand...you have the terrific Belize weather!:)

I think that I metioned to you in a thread a while back that my wife & I spent 10 days (a few years ago) in Belize SCUBA diving (like a lot of tourists).:)

As far as the screws...I went to Amazon...and did a search for "MacBook Pro Screws"...and I got a bunch of hits. Here's one for example (may not be for your exact model):

Amazon.com: Apple Macbook Pro A1260 Laptop Screw Set: Computers & Accessories

51Leaf7OR-L._SY300_.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Steve Bell - I used to work in Aylesbury (lived in Oxford) and your name seems to ring a bell (sorry!). Do you work locally or just live there?

It's a small world, hope this one post isn't too far off topic.

I live in Aylesbury, but used to work in the Oxford area at Eynsham as service manager for an Apple reseller, later service provider. For many reasons I won't go into here, I was for some time seeking a move to another service provider, finally moving on nearly 6 years ago.

Prior to that I was for around 15 years with CRC in Thame , a manufactures service facility. This was before the CRC group got involved in mobile phones and their eventual downfall.

OP
P
Reaction score
No, don't know you. I worked in software design and systems programming for a large company based in Aylesbury long since taken over. End of off-topic posts!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.