Sharing/Sync Files Between New iMac and Old MacBook

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forum:

New here but can't seem to find help elsewhere. I'm a digital DJ and music producer. I have been using my MacBook 6,1 for some time entirely for these purposes. I was overdue for an upgrade and went and bough an iMac today. It's gorgeous and my music will be so much more enjoyable on this enormous screen.

I use Traktor Pro 2, Ableton Live, and am about to download Logic Pro right now. (Been holding off cuz my HD is full) I would like to use the iMac at home almost exclusively, but occasional take some work to bed with the MacBook. Also would use the MacBook on the road or when performing.

How can I keep my music files synced? I'm not talking iTunes, that's just the start of it. In my DJ software, I analyze beat, tempo, lay down cuepoints on waveforms, etc. When I open up my laptop, I need not only the song, but all of this information to be there. Same with Ableton and Logic. When I get started on a great beat, lay down a lead synth I love, and my wife screams at me to come to bed, how can I take the work with me?

Of note, I use Time Machine for backups. I know how to just drop a file on another Mac via bluetooth, airdrop, or migration assistant. I need the files to actually SYNC. Or do I just have to drag a folder onto the other system and when it says it already exists, choose to replace it.

I was thinking this was going to be easy, but I'm not getting a lot of answers amongst my DJ/Producer brethren. Just a lot of Dropbox and Sugar Sync type stuff. I have thousands of dollars of computer sitting here and I can't sync a couple folders between them?

Thanks for reading, any advice is appreciated. This is my passion and life's work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Dropbox is the most obvious solution to satisfy the use cases of syncing files on your own network and when away from home.

Do you have reservations about Dropbox and similar?

You can share folders over the network but that won't work when you're away from home obviously

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could also get a NAS if you have a lot of content to share between the two machines (more than commercial cloud services will allow). I've got one that mounts over WebDAV (so it looks like a regular folder on my Mac) that was really easy to set up. The bonus benefit is the space (I got a 2TB version).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.