Time Machine Issue with ML OS

Reaction score
When I reboot Mountain Lion, an icon that says "Time Machine Backups" always appears on the Desktop. The Time Machine application is currently turned on, and it does not appear within the System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items window.

How can I prevent this Time Machine icon from appearing on the Desktop after every reboot?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
TM is in Applications. Have you checked to see if it is turned off?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, TM is turned on.

In Snow Leopard, this TM icon never appeared on the computer Desktop.
But with Mountain Lion, this TM icon always appears after each restart.

Is there an app that will prevent this icon from appearing on the Desktop after each reboot? I don't use this Desktop icon so I would like to prevent it from appearing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When I reboot Mountain Lion, an icon that says "Time Machine Backups" always appears on the Desktop.
Many thanks.

That does not appear for me after every reboot under Mountain Lion. I don't see anything in login items for me that would trigger that either.

The only time I see "Time Machine Backups" is when it is actively backing up information or preparing to backup. Is it possible that the last backup got interrupted before it was completed?

OP
S
Reaction score
I've just installed Mountain Lion, and I'm just now doing my first TM backup as a write this note.
Maybe that has something to do with it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I bet that is the case. The first backup can take some time (especially if done wirelessly).My guess is the icon will disappear when the backup is complete and reappear when it is time to begin the next backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.