RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yes . . .

Seriously, either a 4S or 5 is a good choice

Reaction score
Well, more than a simple "yes"..........

If she is running a 3, any upgrade will be stunning!

4 is a very real option and cheap, but.....

Go to a 4s.....minimum. The 16gig are about $50 with a contract.

The performance of the 4s doesn't lag much behind the 5.
Yes, the 5 has a faster processor and better face time camera but beyond that????

Truth be told, the 4s has a really fast processor, the 5 has a really really gas processor.

You will see an amazing difference from your 3 to a 4s!
On the other hand the performance difference between the 4s and 5 won't be so noticeable.

I've two 4 and two 4s units in the home. I see no reason to go to a 5 from my 4s units.
Honestly, I'm waiting for the 5s (or whatever they will call it) to come out. At that time I may move up to a 5 when the price drops $100 or if the upgrade is truly compelling, jump into the "5s".

In conclusion........ 4S minimum.

Dave

C

chas_m

The performance of the 4s doesn't lag much behind the 5.
Yes, the 5 has a faster processor and better face time camera but beyond that????

There's probably a list of (minimum) 50 things I could list here, starting with the larger screen, DRAMATIC weight reduction, very noticeably better backside camera (also) and 2x graphics speed increase. I get your point that its not AS big a jump from 4S to 5 as it is from a 4 to a 5, but that's not what's happening here so your comparison is moot (and apparently short on what actually DID change in the iPhone 5).

The OP doesn't speak about budget, but I would have thought it would be fairly self-evident that one should generally go for the newest iPhone one can afford. We don't actually have any idea when the next model is actually going to come out ("sometime before Christmas" is a safe bet :) ) so we only have to focus on what's available now.

If you can afford it, get the 5. If you need something a bit cheaper, get the 4S, if you can't swing that, get the 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I went from the 4S to the 5 and it is an amazing upgrade. things i have noticed
well first screen
battery life
speaker
weight
camera (front and back)
more durable
faster charging
I would go for the 5 it is stunning in my opinion, i had a samsung galaxy note 2 for about 3 months between the iphone 4s and the 5 and loved it for the first week but after that i hated the note.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.