The disk was not ejected properly message when CONNECTING external HD

Reaction score
"The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off."

For about a month, the above message automatically arrives on my display each time I connect an external hard drive to a USB port. Yes, CONNECT, not DISconnect.

This situation started about three weeks ago. I make a "SuperDuper" clone my internal MBA SDD hard drive regularly, so I often connect external HDs.

I am concerned about the message because I know about the consequences of unplugging a HD incorrectly. I've learned the hard way.

Do any of you experts have ideas related to this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Stan from California

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Any USB port?
Only 1 external hard drive available to use for troubleshooting this problem?

OP
S
Reaction score
Disk not ejected properly...

Yes, any port. I have two ports and sometimes use a hub. It doesn't matter which ext HD I use.

The message also occurs when a Samsung Galaxy is attached.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How are you ejecting? Dragging to Trash or right clicking and selecting Eject?

M

MacInWin

I had an external Seagate that had an auto-sleep function built in. Whenever it was idle, that function kicked in and I got that error from OSX because the auto-sleep didn't communicate with OSX. And when I remounted the Seagate, I would get that message about not being properly ejected last time. Could that be what's happening to you? (I got rid of the Seagate, btw, as there was no fix for it and the auto-sleep was not configurable.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.