BootCamp Windows 7 freezes at startup at "Windows 7 is loading files"

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Macbook Air with OS X 10.8.3, 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive

I am usually a Windows user, and wanted to get Windows 7 on my macbook via bootcamp. I created a partition for Windows 7, and clicked install. It restarted, then went to a screen that was black except for the bottom, which had text saying,"Windows is loading files", and a loading bar that fillls up about 10%, then freezes. I left it on for 7 hours, and still it did not budge. I tried this a good 15 times, but nothing ever changed. I have checked the DVD for smudges and scratches; it has none. I have removed Windows 7, restarted my mac, then reinstalled it. The format is MS-DOS (FAT). I can think of nothing else to do, and this is reallllly starting to get on my nerves.

Can someone please help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I take it you're using an external DVD drive?

Did you use the Bootcamp Assistant to create the partition?

What sort of Windows 7 disc is it? Exactly..... Retail, OEM, 32 bit, 64bit etc

Have you downloaded the bootcamp setup guide?

Are you able to mount the disc in Finder and view the files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The format is MS-DOS (FAT). I can think of nothing else to do, and this is reallllly starting to get on my nerves.

Windows 7 will not install on anything else but a drive or partition formatted to NTFS. Neither will Windows 8 or even Vista. Make sure you format to NTFS and try again.

OP
S
Reaction score
I take it you're using an external DVD drive?

Did you use the Bootcamp Assistant to create the partition?

What sort of Windows 7 disc is it? Exactly..... Retail, OEM, 32 bit, 64bit etc

Have you downloaded the bootcamp setup guide?

Are you able to mount the disc in Finder and view the files?

Yes, I did use Bootcamp Assistant, and I am using a LG SuperMulti external DVD drive. The disk is a retail Windows Home Premium 64bit. I have downloaded and printed the bootcamp setup guide. I am able to view the files in Finder

OP
S
Reaction score
Windows 7 will not install on anything else but a drive or partition formatted to NTFS. Neither will Windows 8 or even Vista. Make sure you format to NTFS and try again.

How do you format to NTFS? Is it in Disk Utility?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Formatting to NTFS is done thru the Windows 7 installer when you choose the partition to install it on. You probably missed that step.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

I agree but the 'Windows is loading files' stage is prior to the setup wizard where you choose to format the partition.

I'd suggest this is most likely a fault on the disc. Possibly the reader.

OP
S
Reaction score
Formatting to NTFS is done thru the Windows 7 installer when you choose the partition to install it on. You probably missed that step.

Bootcamp won't let me choose the partition. It just keeps telling me to create a windows 7 partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree but the 'Windows is loading files' stage is prior to the setup wizard where you choose to format the partition.

It's been awhile since I installed Windows 7 so my memory is rusty on which came first. I just re-read his initial post and I now agree with you. It does appear to be an error on the disk being read. It could also be his optical drive that's not working right.

@sandwichbite:

Try cleaning your optical drive with a can of compressed air by blowing several short blasts into the drive. Then try again. And please ignore my reply about formatting to NTFS as that will be done later after it gets past that stage you're stuck on.

OP
S
Reaction score
Alright heres the deal. I am typing this from my imac. It restarted, but it hangs on Loading files 0%...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, sounds good. Looks like your optical drive may have been at fault. Let us know after it installs. Keep us informed and thanks to mrplow for remembering what my old memory forgot! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.