Mac Pro power light on and chimes but no video output.

Reaction score
Hi I just got a mac pro (late 2006) from a public surplus auction in as is condition and i'm attempting to figure out what is wrong with it.

It had no ram so I installed a matched pair of DDR2 PC 2-5300 ECC 2GB ram modules in the 1st slot of each riser card and then attempted to boot the machine. The power light comes on and stays solid and it chimes but i dont get any video output.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you open it up and make sure that a video card is installed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The video card that's in it may be defective. Really no way to check it out except to substitute a known good card. Since it's an old model (the first Mac Pro) and you got it from a surplus auction, there could be other problems. Anyway, if you can get hold of another video card to swap out, that would eliminate it as the cause.

Also, it just occurred to me..... make sure the video card that's in it is a Mac card and not some PC card that someone threw in there. A PC video card is not going to work in a Mac Pro. Pull it out and tell us which one it is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also, it just occurred to me..... make sure the video card that's in it is a Mac card and not some PC card that someone threw in there. A PC video card is not going to work in a Mac Pro. Pull it out and tell us which one it is.

I was thinking the same thing!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the card is the original nVidia 7300GT they did have a very high failure rate. Mac Pro 1.1 now have a very limited value as they cannot install Mountasin Lion so watch your budget.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.