iPad Screen Won't Rotate In Mail

Reaction score
-iPad 2-

The screen rotating function is not locked, and therefore the screen will rotate automatically in all situations except for the one below.

When I click on the "Mail," the screen is in vertical mode and will not change to horizontal mode. Did I change a setting without realizing it? Is this fixable? Or is this just some stupid thing Apple does thinking it's automatically better that way?

Thanks for any help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure about Mail but there are some apps that will not work except in vertical or portrait mode. The magazine app reader is one such. I found that out the hard way trying to get it to read in Landscape. No go.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just opened Mail on my 1st generation iPad with IOS 5.1.1 and mail rotates just fine. I checked the settings and so far have found nothing that would lock it in Portrait mode. If I do I will get back to you.

I also just tried Mail on my iPhone 3GS with the latest version of IOS 6.1.2 and it rotates also.

C

chas_m

Rotation works fine for me -- all orientations.

Try powering down your iPad (not putting it to sleep, actually turning it off) and then restart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.