New iMac. What gives with Youtube speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display. My internet is a wired ethernet connection to TWCable modem. No network or router, Mac OSX firewall off, no AV apps. I am currently at work, but I will check Flash version this evening. I soley use Safari.

C

chas_m

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, Dogbreath, what you're saying is that local copies of videos play fine, but STREAMING video is an issue.

One suggestion: if you're using Google's DNS or OpenDNS, stop. Change them back to your local provider's DNS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
chas_m...that's it!...that is exactly what is going on. I have never messed with DNS settings, but I have read a little about them on this forum. My DNS settings should be the default ones set by OSX.6.8 or the Time Warner Cable modem...whichever would handle DNS settings. I'll perform an Advanced Search on the forum later to find out how to check and/or change them to try to remedy this. Or maybe someone is willing to instruct me in a post.

Thanks, chas_m, for your input. Currently I am at work using a Windows pc, so I will check DNS settings this afternoon once I get home.

I did check last night and I do have the latest version of Flash.

C

chas_m

I don't know that this will fix the issue, but it has fixed similar problems in the past for some users. Maybe that's the problem here.

Reaction score
gotta say

my new imac has no problems whatsoever with you tube videos (checked last night)
in fact i was importing 40,000 photos, playing starcraft and had the video up all at the same time and there was no lag whatsoever, so perhaps its your settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@docx . . . thanks. I read the link you provided and cleared my Flash cache. I then went to YouTube and watched 5 - 6 1080p HD videos at random. There was no lag and the problem seems fixed. Time will tell. I will clear the Flash cache regularly from now on. Meanwhile, I will research and look into setting up the YouTube5 Safari extension. I will post back. And thanks to all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Glad to have helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 iMac I7 3.4, 1 TB Fusion, 2 gigs Video, 24 gigs Ram, Yosemite 10.10.2
Just a suggestion, have you tried rebooting or refreshing your router or modem. My linksys router seems to occasionally meter down wireless bandwidth when multiple computers or devices are connected to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No router here...but refreshing the modem is a great idea. Right now my Mini is running/streaming like it is supposed to. Next time I will include the modem reboot as part of my regimen as well as clearing my Flash cache. Thank you, Steve Mc.

Reaction score
Video Buffering

I have a brand new Macbook Pro. I am using Chrome and my speednet test looks good:

2644349383.png

I am new to Mac and everything was going swimmingly until about a week ago when I started experiencing extremely slow video buffering on sites like You Tube and other video sites that link to You Tube. My old PC is connected to the same wireless network and streams just fine.

I am at my wits end. I have tried a lot of things on a lot of forums to no avail. I know there are issues between Adobe and Apple, but there must be a fix for this.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks!

C

chas_m

I am at my wits end. I have tried a lot of things on a lot of forums to no avail. I know there are issues between Adobe and Apple, but there must be a fix for this.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks!

1. There are no "issues" with Apple and Adobe. They get along great. Mobile Flash was a failure, Adobe admitted this and closed up shop on that front.

2. Did you read the previous entries in this thread? A number of options offered, including some that worked for some people.

3. Are you up-to-date on your Flash? Always a good starting point.

M

MacInWin

I have been helping a local user who has the same slowdowns on file transfers into his business. From research, it appears his internet provider is throttling speed after a certain amount of traffic comes in in a burst. So the download starts out really well, then starts pausing when the throttling begins. Speedtest.net shows the phenomenon perfectly, with the speed of download being significantly cut after a few seconds of very good speeds. He's working with the ISP to get it resolved as he is paying for a very wide bandwidth and not getting the service he should.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Several ISPs here in our area do the same thing. What is frustrating is that they advertise their download speeds and boast that it's the best for the money, what they don't tell you is they throttle. And with the cable DSL providers it becomes a matter of overload especially in the evening when everyone is on the net. I switched to Verizon FIOS as soon as it became available here and have not had a problem since.

Reaction score
wow. What a quick and responsive community. I'm impressed. Luckily, it wasn't my ISP. When I realized my wife's iPad was having the same problems, but our cabled PC was fine, I finally went down into my basement, rebooted my modem and my router and the problem has gone away for Firefox and Safari. For some strange reason, though, its still exists on Chrome. I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and still no luck. Well, at least everything is smooth again on Safari and Firefox which is good enough for me. Not sure why I have 3 browsers anyway. I guess they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was having problems with YouTube lagging and pausing until I deleted my Flash cookies in Safari. Now I do that weekly...I run Onyx once a month.

Another possible fix is to dl and run the Youtube5 Safari extension as a way of handling lagging and loading YouTube videos. Check earlier posts in this thread for links and instructions on deleting Flash cookies and getting the YouTube5 Safari extension.

I also recommend rebooting your router/modem from time to time.

Reaction score
well, the router fix only worked for a day. Or maybe not at all. After extensive troubleshooting, I think I've isolated the problem down to YouTube on my home network. All of the computers on my home network (macbook pro, ipad, 3 year old desktop pc, 3 year old toshiba laptop) have excellent speeds and return results like the one below.

2650736806.png

All of them can stream netflix, HBO and sites like Vimeo in HD perfectly. When it comes to YouTube, though, the buffering nightmare begins. So, I'm not sure if this problem belongs in an Apple forum or not. My MacBook is clearly not the problem.

I'm baffled though how this began for both my wife and I the same day about 2 weeks ago. We watch videos on a daily basis and both started experiencing the buffering problem the same day about 2 weeks ago with no end in sight. If the problem was happening to everyone, I would expect to see posts everywhere. My wife said YouTube videos worked fine today on her iPad on her wireless work network. I know that's anecdotal and I'll probably bring my macbook into work tomorrow to see if I get the same results. I don't think I'm providing enough information to get a solution, but figured I would update this thread with my pressing 1st world problem.

Thanks for any feedback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.