iWork Numbers - how to group data using a formula

Reaction score
Hi - I have a spreadsheet with loads of data in it, one column has loads of numbers in it ranging from -180 to +180 (angles). I want to create a new column next to it where each angle in a specific range has a given group number next to it, eg angles between 0 and 30 would be group 1, between 30 and 60 would be group 2, between 60 and 90 would be group 3.....and so on.

How on earth do I do this using the formulas?? I have zero experience with either excel or numbers so I'm getting really confused. It's iWork numbers '08 that I'm using.

(also can I have group 2 being both 30 to 60 AND -30 to -60?)

Any help would be great!

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
(also can I have group 2 being both 30 to 60 AND -30 to -60?)

Any help would be great!

Well sure, by using absolute value. But, I have no experience with Numbers formulas, and this is over my head in Excel too. It's going to have to be some sort of conditional formula, to state the obvious. Like IF 30>A1<60 THEN A2=Group 2 using absolute value for groups to include positive and negative angles. But that's not a Numbers formula, you understand, just a concept.

Not much help, but any is quite lenient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.