opening pdf files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Preview handles .pdf files very well for me. What app are you using to open these files? Is it just one particular .pdf file or is it all of them? If it is just one, it could possibly be corrupt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Preview is a basic program for text files, image files, and maybe other kinds too.

For anyone not knowing that, a sentence starting with "Preview handles..." might be confusing. :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Cannot open pdf files in mountain lyon.
Can anyone advice?
Thanks
We're going to need some more details since we don't have much to go on here. What have you tried? Have you tried different PDFs? What version of OS X?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Point taken about the definition of "Preview".

What Dogbreath was saying, in effect, was that more most purposes using the app "Preview" allows you to open and edit most pdf files, fast and without difficulty. It comes with OS X.

There other options, some free, some pay-for - especially if complex editing is required.

The following link reviews "Preview" and compares it to the competition: The Best PDF Viewer/Editor for Mac

But one question raised by Dogbreath not yet answered: is the problem confined to one pdf or all pdf files?

Ian

C

chas_m

It is quite possible that the OP is referring to "opening" PDF files in a browser. Hopefully they will clarify and add pertinent info like their Mac and OS version, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I just got back to this thread. thanks, toMACsh, for clarifying my wording. I see it now. I will choose my words more wisely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.