PRoblems w/ 'audio-notes' feature on MS word

Reaction score
So, today i tried using MS word's 'audio notes' feature to record my lecture.

However, when i tried to save the document, MS word started "not responding," and it took about 30 minutes for it to work again. Then, when I later tried to open the document, MS word again started "not responding."

Any idea why the audio notes feature messed up MS word so bad? also, is there any way for me to see those notes now?

NOTE: I was not using dictation. 'audio notes' is a feature available under 'tools' when using the notebook layout.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're referring to the dictation feature built into OS X which Word employs. It's not called "audio notes". Did you read the disclaimer displayed by Word (actually Apple) when you turned on dictation? It explains what happens when you use dictation. You need to read that if you haven't already.

It's not a perfect system and does take a while to recognize your voice and respond accordingly. The only thing I can think of is that your dictation got mangled and caused errors. I personally do not recommend using it for long documents or a lecture. Short notes dictated slowly as in a Powerpoint presentation should work OK.

OP
T
Reaction score
You're referring to the dictation feature built into OS X which Word employs. It's not called "audio notes". Did you read the disclaimer displayed by Word (actually Apple) when you turned on dictation? It explains what happens when you use dictation. You need to read that if you haven't already.

It's not a perfect system and does take a while to recognize your voice and respond accordingly. The only thing I can think of is that your dictation got mangled and caused errors. I personally do not recommend using it for long documents or a lecture. Short notes dictated slowly as in a Powerpoint presentation should work OK.

No, I wasn't using dictation, I was using 'audio notes,' which is a feature available when using the notebook layout. I wasn't trying to convert the audio into words, I was merely just trying to record it so that i could listen to it later. I've edited my original post to reflect this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You edited your original post after I replied, or during.... sorry about that. In that situation, I'm not sure why your audio notes failed. You didn't mention which version of Word but I assume you're using Word 2011? Did you try doing some short tests to see if Word was properly writing and saving the document?

In answering your original post about attempting to find or see your original audio notes, I don't believe you can. Once Word crashes or hangs and shuts down, all backup gets deleted. The only backup that's saved is the one created when you open the document to edit it, and only if that option has been chosen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.