New Switcher, old photographer aperture question

Reaction score
Ok,
as of wed's20th i should have my very own 1st imac.
I am a semi pro wildlife photographer,
i have LR4 and PS cs5, so why aperture aswell?

1 aperture was coded by apple for an apple
2 full screen editing..... this looks really useful to me
3 slideshow and video look more polished than lr4

my question is......

have i got the right of it with the above points (or have i just fallen for the hype?) and is it worth buying?

(please bear in mind i'm serious and have a library of 50,000+ photos that will be going through this program)
cheers in advance for any comments

Andy

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ok,
as of wed's20th i should have my very own 1st imac.
I am a semi pro wildlife photographer,
i have LR4 and PS cs5, so why aperture aswell?

1 aperture was coded by apple for an apple
2 full screen editing..... this looks really useful to me
3 slideshow and video look more polished than lr4

my question is......

have i got the right of it with the above points (or have i just fallen for the hype?) and is it worth buying?

(please bear in mind i'm serious and have a library of 50,000+ photos that will be going through this program)
cheers in advance for any comments

Andy
I have and use Aperture, but only because I prefer the way Aperture handles libraries. IMO LR is a superior product.

OP
AWSPhotography
Reaction score
I have and use Aperture, but only because I prefer the way Aperture handles libraries. IMO LR is a superior product.

i heard once you got your head aound how aperture handles the libs and master files it is an extreamly powerful app,

still tempted to buy it and have all 3 running, might be that lr and aperture do different things better than their counterpart in which case i think it my be worth buying

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
i heard once you got your head aound how aperture handles the libs and master files it is an extreamly powerful app,

still tempted to buy it and have all 3 running, might be that lr and aperture do different things better than their counterpart in which case i think it my be worth buying

DougB has used both, though prefers (the last time he opined) LR. Don't know that Aperture buys you anything if you are already settled with LR, but it certainly doesn't hurt (other than money) to try.

OP
AWSPhotography
Reaction score
and at £55 i can afford to lose that tbh so i think i be giving it a go
plus im thinking aperture loads the images a lot faster than lr aswell (currently going through my library and tbh its a ball ache its that slow)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Oh my. I wish I could tell you that Aperture loaded library's faster than LR. This is so not the case however. Aperture has only one thing going for it that LR doesn't, but you have Photoshop, so this is a moot point. Cloning, and that's it. Aperture uses a seemingly similar algorithm to what is found in Photoshop Elements, kind of a smart cloning, using the pixels closest to the object desired to be cloned out.

But please do yourself a favor unless you absolutely hate LR, and that is save yourself the headache. I always re-try Aperture every 6 months or so, just to see if there are any improvements, but there are never enough to sway me.

Lightroom may not have the same cloning tool, but I have both CS6 (which I really never use) as well as Elements. You can export your LR edits as smart objects in Photoshop and this makes management very easy. You can not do this with Aperture.

I also am very biased towards the LR workflow. I hate Aperture's file management, and the whole "master file" nonsense. It's a wasteful mess, and not necessary IMO. But of course you have to yield to the whole iPhoto/Aperture database management theme, so little choice on the users part, I'm afraid.

I love that in LR I can just tell it where my photos reside (external drive) and it simply sees the folder hierarchy and doesn't try to impose a silly "album" or "project" label to anything. I create the parent folders (in OR out of LR) and it just works as I see fit.

Technically speaking, LR also has MUCH better noise reduction and sharpening algorithm than Aperture. These things are very important IMO. Also, Aperture doesn't have lens correction profiles which can be a very big deal for a lot of photographers.

You show me any photograph that has been edited with Aperture, and I guarantee that I can get it to look exactly as it does using LR to edit instead. Minus any smart cloning of course, unless you tell me I can use Elements, which I would anyway.

I do still love Apertures interface. That's the one thing I've always thought it had an edge over LR with. I don't care about full screen editing though, it's not as big a deal as you'd think, since you're still working on the same amount of pixels. It's not as if the photo will encompass the entire screen at once...

But hey, like has been said. Aperture is cheap as heck, so if you'd like to try it, why not? If you don't have a lot invested with your LR/PS workflow, go for it.

Doug

Edit: Mistook loading photos for library's. I've got an late 2008 15" MacBook Pro with 4 gigs of RAM. Import using a cruddy ol' Sandisk multi card reader and it goes straight to my main external HD. It's not the most speedy way to do things, but I don't find it dog slow, either. I import to medium quality previews at 1440 pixels. I allocate 10 gigs of HD space on my Mac for pre caching. This makes a big difference depending upon the system you're on. I honestly can't wait until I get my new iMac. 27" i7 most likely and will start with 16 gigs of RAM and a Fusion drive. I'll probably also save for an external Thunder Bolt drive. Ooooh will that be sweet!

OP
AWSPhotography
Reaction score
cheers doug,

you've made some really good points there. I am getting a 27" with 1tb fusion and 32gb ram so i'll let you know how it runs :)

i love lr and ps if i do buy into aperture it wont be for the file management (tbh more for the slide shows i know lr does them but it does'nt seem to be as flexible as apertures). What i am thinking i'll do is import thru LR from my 1tb usb 2 external (which is now full) and copy to my new 4tb usb 3 creating the same directory structure., thus leaving my 1tb as an archive. Then just using the "referenced masters" thru aperture? does that sound right?

these are just all thoughts atm as im still waiting on my mac being delivered. Know what you mean about the thunderbolt storage though... got my eye on the lacie big5 20tb thunderbolt unit atm... but have a small matter of a £4.5k camera body and a further £2k of camera gear to get before that :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.