Sort FOLDERS, then FILES by name

Reaction score
I'm probably missing the obvious, but when I sort files/folders in Finder (or any other app accessing the folder system) I prefer it to be sorted all folders at the top in alpha sort, then all files below the folders in alpha sort.

I cannot seem to view my file system this way on the Mac. If I choose to sort by name, it merges the folder names in with the files, which I don't enjoy.

Go ahead, tell me there's an obvious way hidden in plain sight that I'm missing...to get what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you try the following in Finder. Click on View -> Arrange by -> Name, then Arrange by -> Kind. I'm not in front of my Mac right now, so lemme know if it doesn't' work, and I'll go back with it tonight..

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks Raz0rEdge

When I sort by Name first, then switch to Kind, it looses the alpha sort. In fact it seems to go out of its way to randomize the sorting within each kind, but I'm sure that's just my conspiracy theory view.

M

MacInWin

What you describe is what Windows does. OSX doesn't. Not a conspiracy, just how it goes. There may be third party tools that do what you want.

EDIT: cradom beat me to it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My solution: I don't use List View. In Icon View, arrange by Kind does what you want.

Now, I had to experiment to confirm that. The one thing I wish Finder had is an "Undo" button to get the previous arrangement back!

OP
I
Reaction score
My solution: I don't use List View. In Icon View, arrange by Kind does what you want.

Now, I had to experiment to confirm that. The one thing I wish Finder had is an "Undo" button to get the previous arrangement back!

I tried this but it's really not the same thing as the individual files are not sorted by alpha once they're broken out by type.

This will do what you want. I've been using it for a while now with no problems.
Download XtraFinder for Mac - Add tabs and more to Finder. MacUpdate.com

I'll check this out, looks like this may solve my request.

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I tried this but it's really not the same thing as the individual files are not sorted by alpha once they're broken out by type.

Funny, it worked in my trial.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.