Corrupt mail password

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a Mac Mini 10.6.8 I Love it, but recently, something has happened to my Mail. I don't know if it got hacked someway or a virus? or what. It started, when I would start mail, and it would ask me for my emai address, and password... then I would get an error message that "this is incorrect"... even when I went to my host to check my email it would do the same thing. I talked to tech support and they refreshed my email and it would work fine, sometimes for a week, other times for a day, and then others times only once. I changed the password, and it would do the same. I thought it was my host, since it was even doing it on their site. I finally talked to someone there who asked if I could get mail from another computer or source. I picked another password, and have had no problems with mail now for over 2 weeks using my iPad, or iPhone.... I read about the Trojan that got into mail, and so I tried doing the test for it, but it looks like it passed that test....Am I going to have to do a complete clean and install? or can this be eliminated, ???? Thanks for your help...... Regards Sonny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you were getting similar issues on the host website it's unlikely to be a local issue.

It could be that your email password has been hacked and changed.

Several email providers not of 2 step email authentication or send you a message to your phone before allowing a password change.

I'd change your password to something very secure. Letters, numbers, mix upper and lowercase may even symbols.
I'd also consider moving to an ISP independent email product that offers a greater range of security if your current host doesnt

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, I did change the password 2 or 3 times, always by phone, and not by mail..... It seems like I have something that is stealing my password....or keystroke... It's only happening on email though....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have not had any problem for 2 weeks at this point in time, what exactly is it you are trying to fix?

And if it happens when logging into your email account in a web browser, the problem is not on your machine.

You also need to log into the account online and change the password online - not by giving it to some other person either via email nor by phone.
No one else should have your password.

Anytime you get a reset of a password by email or by phone, your very next step should be to log into that account and change it again... immediately.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you have not had any problem for 2 weeks at this point in time, what exactly is it you are trying to fix?

And if it happens when logging into your email account in a web browser, the problem is not on your machine.

You also need to log into the account online and change the password online - not by giving it to some other person either via email nor by phone.
No one else should have your password.

Anytime you get a reset of a password by email or by phone, your very next step should be to log into that account and change it again... immediately.

What I am trying to do is get my email to work on my Mac Mini......I get it fine and have had no issues getting it on my iPad, or my iPhone... The last time I changed the password the tech suggested just not logging into my computer, and just trying it on other devices, which I have been doing with success on my iPad and iPhone..... So the password and mail have been secure on those 2 just not the mini. I only check my mail on the Mini, directly in mail, not in a web browser.... I'm not worried about the tech people stealing my password, I've had the same host for over 10 years, and this is the first issue i've ever had.. It is definitely something on the Mini, that's causing the problem... I have most everything on a G Tech external drive, so I guess my best bet is too just go to the Apple store and have them do a clean and new install.....Thanks for the suggestions....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If all your mail is on the server and you have no problems with it being deleted from your local machine - delete the account from the Mac - quit Mail - and create it new.

Make sure you use your ISP's directions for setting it up with Mac Mail, particularly related to security settings, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.