RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
sigma make the nikon cameras look good :p
(something canon users dont need :) )

hahaha sry couldn't resist... only joking :)
although i'll do the canon vs nikon jokes... i just want to state for the record i'm not a fanboy of either,,, in my mind they are tools to do a job, and both do it equally well

Absolutely not a Nikon fanboy, though I love my equipment. I looked long and hard at Canon when I chose my system, but the decider was a totally non-tech issue having to do with my brother who passed 3 years ago.

Reaction score
sry to hear that, but glad your happy with your gear.

my pride and joy is my EF 600mm F4 L IS lens that i got last year, and later this year i'll be getting my canon 1 DX then i just gotta make it pay for itself :) (10yrs work there then :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
sry to hear that, but glad your happy with your gear.

my pride and joy is my EF 600mm F4 L IS lens that i got last year, and later this year i'll be getting my canon 1 DX then i just gotta make it pay for itself :) (10yrs work there then :) )

Ha! You ought to come to NYC then. I'll hook you up with some paparazzi, and get that thing paid off in no time! :p

You must do a lot of expeditions with that getup.. what's your gig, if I may ask?

Doug

Reaction score
Ha! You ought to come to NYC then. I'll hook you up with some paparazzi, and get that thing paid off in no time! :p

You must do a lot of expeditions with that getup.. what's your gig, if I may ask?

Doug

No expeditions so far. I mainly work with conservation groups and wildlife parks. though im in the process of creating a book for a major lion conservation group which will involve me going out to africa for about 4 - 8 months.

if by gig you're asking what i have then : 5dmk2 ef 28-300 ef600mm (mk1) i know the camera is all wrong for wildlife ... the idea was to do wedding and studio photography to pay for the wildlife kit... however with atleast another 10 dedicated and established wedding photographers in my little town already...it kinda never happened. So i have a f/t job (more than f/t as i work 6 days every week) and save for what i need. anyway here's some examples of my "work"

kfisher-14_zpscfe76a8a.jpg

img_7582-edit_zpsf1874f40.jpg

smugpainteddogs-1_zps19a68a6a.jpg

lion291of344-edit_zps9687e408.jpg

this tiger cub photo raised over £20k for the sumatran tiger trust and has paid for an anti poaching patrol .... something i feel a little proud about :)

tiger-9_zps046c504a.jpg

jaguar-5_zps7447cb55.jpg

tiger-1_zps2647aabd.jpg

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sigma has arrived!

Got my new lens today. Seems to be uber sharp for a zoom and haven't seen any focus issues so far. Will try to put up some samples this weekend. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Got my new lens today. Seems to be uber sharp for a zoom and haven't seen any focus issues so far. Will try to put up some samples this weekend. :)

Awesome. Can't wait to see some test shots.

I've some pretty nice things about the Sigma 35mm F/1.4. Since I don't have a 35mm or an 85mm prime yet. That is going to be my next purchase. ;)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sample Pics

All of these suffer from being handheld, as I didn't have a lot of time to play. Where I could I braced against something. No post processing either.

DSC_0005_zpsb28f2549.jpg

DSC_0037_zpsedb9437e.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsf6b91f17.jpg

DSC_0035_zps9991dde2.jpg

DSC_0054_zpsaf21797a.jpg

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know why, but the samples I uploaded don't look nearly as good as the originals. Thought at first it was just because I was using my iPad, but I tried zooming in on AWs's sample pics and they aren't degraded like mine . . . :(

EDIT: In my original of the moon in the day lit sky you can readily see the moon's characteristic markings, not the blurry blob I'm seeing on my iPad. ;P

EDIT2: I seem to remember having this problem with a pic of a rose that Doug helped me sort out. Will have to look back through my posts and see what we did.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Don't know why, but the samples I uploaded don't look nearly as good as the originals. Thought at first it was just because I was using my iPad, but I tried zooming in on AWs's sample pics and they aren't degraded like mine . . . :(

EDIT: In my original of the moon in the day lit sky you can readily see the moon's characteristic markings, not the blurry blob I'm seeing on my iPad. ;P

EDIT2: I seem to remember having this problem with a pic of a rose that Doug helped me sort out. Will have to look back through my posts and see what we did.

Where are you hosting the images? Sometimes they do funny things to your images.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where are you hosting the images? Sometimes they do funny things to your images.

Photo Bucket

Will try again this weekend, to see if I can get a decent pic uploaded.

Reaction score
i use photobucket also .....
if your saving as jpeg for web use what quality setting are you saving it at (when saving for pb i always up ming to 100%)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i use photobucket also .....
if your saving as jpeg for web use what quality setting are you saving it at (when saving for pb i always up ming to 100%)

Thanks.

I am positive the problem is on my side. Don't use Photobucket except to upload to the forum, and normally not concerned with the resolution.

In this case I want to make sure my upload is a fair representation of what the Sigma can do (even in my hands) which these images definitely aren't.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2nd Try

Lets see if I have this sorted out . . .

WinterLeaf_zps949f2bcb.jpg:original

EDIT: Problem seems to be solved. Upload was defaulting to 100KB file size. Found the option to link out to original file.

Reaction score
**** thats a sharp lens

you got a cracker there

just went full size and full screen on my 27" imac and really.....that's a SHARP lens

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.