Parallels 8 - Best Install/Setup method for gaming

Reaction score
I am a previous PD6 & 7 user, but stop using it awhile back due to unsatisfactory performance while gaming. In the past I would setup my bootcamp partition and then install PD afterwards. I would make sure my CPU, GPU, and Memory settings were tweaked to give better performance, but it never seemed to be enough.

I am now using a Late 2012 iMac (3.4 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 2GB GTX 680MX GPU, and 1TB Fusion HDD) and would like to give PD8 a shot. While scanning through some comments about gaming on the Mac, one comment caught my eye...

"Apparently you haven't used Parallels in a while. Also, FYI, loading a Bootcamp partition through Parallels doesn't perform nearly as well as a native Parallels OS install"

This comment, if true, leads me to believe that I was doing something wrong, or could have done it a better way. So, I figured i'd come on here and see if I could get some suggestions or guide on how to properly install/setup PD8 if my main or only purpose is for Windows gaming. I am willing to start from scratch (i.e. currently Mac partition only, no bootcamp) if that means I get more acceptable gaming performance. I'm not a hardcore gamer, and play mostly RPGs, so I'm pretty easy to please, but my previous experience was far from pleasing.

Thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure I would agree with that quote. But never did any testing to compare the 2 of them.

However, if your interest in Windows is for gaming, boot to a separate Windows installation rather than loading it into Parallels or Fusion.

OP
J
Reaction score
Not sure I would agree with that quote. But never did any testing to compare the 2 of them.

However, if your interest in Windows is for gaming, boot to a separate Windows installation rather than loading it into Parallels or Fusion.

That's what I usually do, but I really hate having to reboot just to play a game and then rebooting when I am done. I'm not sure why it irks me so much, but it's actually resulted in me playing less Windows only games. I can't remember the last time I used my Windows bootcamp.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Running a Virtual machine like Parallel + trying to game is really going to bog down your gaming experience as well as your machine. Going to lag like no tomorrow depending how graphic and ram intensive the game is.

It is better to boot into Windows for when you want to game. Either that or make/Acquire a separate and dedicated Windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think best option is BootCamp with 64bit Windows 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.