ST1000LM014 SSHD Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, early 2011
Shiny new disk to replace my virtually never-used optical drive - 15" MacBook Pro, early 2011, running Mountain Lion - fully up-to-date.

Works perfectly in USB dock. Super-Duper was able to copy my internal disk to it and boot from it. R/W, no permission errors.

Tested internal tray with older laptop drive, works perfectly. DAYS of testing & tinkering with ST1000LM014 all comes down to this: most any commands sent its way via direct SATA result in an "invalid argument" error... Formatter fails on any partition via SATA (sector whatever = invalid argument). Repair fails, sees partitions as R/O. Tried tinkering with diskutil from command-line to get most of this info...

Looks like a bona-fied SSHD pseudo-geometry issue to me, so probably shelving the disk until a firmware update (it's too new to have any, nor are there problem-postings in the blogosphere yet). I'm VERY frustrated - but understand this is a problem with bleeding-edge...

Anybody out there in my boat? Anybody found a fix yet? Seagate, are you listening? MacMall is pushing these at a slightly better price than I got on NewEgg last Friday, so I expect a big wave of people with similar issues...

Thanks all!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, early 2011
Caught an OS X update that I hoped might address this, but no joy. Still hoping for someone who's been through it to give me a hint...

Reaction score
where are u connecting the hdd

i read somewhere that momentus tx can not be connected in the cdrom sata connector.....found it....

"Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed."

So.. this disk is 6gb/s maybe you should try connecting the disk to the main HDD connector.

BTW.. i'm getting this disk for my macbook pro 13" late 2011... but i'll be using it asthe only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.