iPad Mail, cannot delete trash?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Showing a friend how to sync her ipad today when she queried on how to delete trash,

The trash is not deletiing?
Keep getting an error message, "cannot move file"? The deleted trash file remains?
Any ideas?
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How and where exactly are you trying to delete the trash?

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply,
I was deleting as normal,

Deleting them from the in box, then
Deleting them from the trash

But each time, I got the error message, "cannot move file" and the delted was still there?
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
This is the standard iPad email client I'm presuming?

Is you email coconut using IMAP, POP or exchange?

Who's your email provider?

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
This is the standard iPad email client I'm presuming?

Is you email coconut using IMAP, POP or exchange?

Who's your email provider?
She is with Adam internet,
As for IMAP, POP or exchange, I'm not sure
I'm starting to get "technically challenged here", sorry
I know mine is POP, not sure about hers,
She lives out of town so may not get back till thursday, will call her but I do not think she will know what I'm talking about
Question,
Can you change IMAP, POP or exchange?
If that is what is needed, I may be able to change it next Thursday
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't need changing necessarily. Just know it's likely a setting at the mail provider end rather than your ipad

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
So,
Should she contact her internet provider about this problem?
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really. You see it's not really a problem.

When you access an email account the inbox emails are copied to your iPad.

When you delete them from your inbox on your iPad they are gone.

When you go into press Messages in Mail on your iPad you see it's split into inboxes and Accounts.

Inboxes is on your iPad. Accounts is what's on your email server. The trash is on your email server not on your iPad. The message you are getting is telling you you don't have permission to empty the trash in the server. That's likely an imap setting that prevents you doing so. It's taking no space on your iPad. If you don't want to go delving into how the email account was setup in the iPad and the settings online I'd just leave it as is.
It's doing no harm, taking no space on your iPad.
There's little reason to visit the accounts panel in mail. All the day to day email business can by done using the inboxes panel.

If you do want to dig deeper I'll need to know where you got the details for setting up the email account on your iPad.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Hi there,
In answer to your questions,
When I set up my iPad, I just followed the prompts and did not have a problem,

My friends iPad was done the same but I have not had a look at how her account is set up on her laptop

So I guess I will have to have a look at both
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must have entered server details etc. they aren't populated automatically for Adam Internet.

But that doesn't matter. There's no change to be made. It's acting as it should.
If thats not how you want it to behave you can trawl the Adam Internet support about switching between pop and imap, as they offer different features in regard to deletions and more. Imap offers more flexibility and greater control in your mail client

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Thank you,
I think I will have to wait till I get back and ask a few questions,
Remember having a look at her laptop, (Windows), and she was accessing her emails using Firefox,
I will have a look at her account on the laptop and see how it is set up
She also mentioned that her partner was saying he had deleted old emails but they are still there on the laptop?
Perhaps it is the way the account is set up on the laptop?
Starting to look like there is more to this than just the iPad
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you log on through a web browser, on any platform, you have direct access to the account, rather than via the mail servers in a client. I.e. any action you take there is done at source so deletions etc are permanent and immediate

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
That sounds good,
I've only used windows mail and outlook in the past,
Using the web browser was unfamiliar to me, once I access the account, I should be OK I hope
Your insight is much appreciated,
In the meantime, I've done a lot of googling, appears this is a common problem with new ipad owners
Guess I was lucky that my laptop synced OK with the iPad with the emails, never had a glitch,
FWIW,
Downloading iTunes for her and setting up a folder for syncing images to the iPad all worked a treat, she was very happy about that
Once we solve the 94 emails, I'll be happy

Except my old laptop has died, (over 5 years old),
Now saving for iMac,
Regards,
Gary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.