Must Have Apps?

Reaction score
I just purchased my Macbook Pro Retina and am very excited about it! Thanks to all in this forum who have helped by the way.

Moving on, now that I have officially purchased a Mac, which apps do you guys tend to live by? This thing is awesome straight out of the box, but I'm sure there are some that would make it that much better.

Suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please use our forum search feature as this has been discussed many times in numerous threads. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are many good ones. My suggestion would be to spend some time getting to know the pre-installed software first. Many times people (including myself) purchase a new app for something they could just as well have done using existing software.

Check the About This Particular Macintosh link in my sig. I've written a bit over the years about uses for Preview, TextEdit, Disk Utility and a few other built in programs I don't remember at the moment. I can't seem to pull them all into one list at the moment. Search for my name in conjunction with one of the installed programs.

OP
M
Reaction score
There are many good ones. My suggestion would be to spend some time getting to know the pre-installed software first. Many times people (including myself) purchase a new app for something they could just as well have done using existing software.

Check the About This Particular Macintosh link in my sig. I've written a bit over the years about uses for Preview, TextEdit, Disk Utility and a few other built in programs I don't remember at the moment. I can't seem to pull them all into one list at the moment. Search for my name in conjunction with one of the installed programs.

Thanks! I'll check it out. I've been reading lists and it seems like most of the "suggested" apps are, in fact, different variants of the built in programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2011 (A1286), 2.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, DualGrafix, Mountain Lion 10.8.2 / iPod /iPhone4s
you could have a initial look here

Not an exhaustive list though, but you can have an fairly good idea. If not happy, give a "Best Mac Apps for......" you will get a good list and then always check back in this forum.

Enjoy your RMBP!!

C

chas_m

Sylv echoed my suggestion: there's a lot of AWESOME software and ZERO crapware that comes on a Mac, take a little time and get to know the new house before you run out and buy more furniture! :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sylv echoed my suggestion: there's a lot of AWESOME software and ZERO crapware that comes on a Mac, take a little time and get to know the new house before you run out and buy more furniture! :)

Great analogy. Wish I had thought of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.