WordPerfect on iMac

Reaction score
I am a dyed in the wool WordPerfect user. My dilemma is that although I have always used a PC, I am seriously consxidering getting an iMac. iMac does not use WordPerfect.
The main reasons I use WordPerfect are;
1-WordPerfect has "Reveal Codes" available at the bottom of the screen (scaleable) MS Word has a form of reveal codes, but unlike the HTML codes, Word does not reveal every single code, keystroke, or command. Thus, one is often left wondering where the "indent" or other strange command is hiding.
2-WordPerfect will convert MS Word into WordPerfect. MS Word does not reciprocate. Thus, one is left with copy or cut and paste to get MS Word content into WordPerfect.

There are other, but less bothersome ---to me-- but this is in essence the reason I have not given up my PC yet!

Any helpful (non esoteric) suggestions?
WHM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

If the changes are too much stay where you are and avoid all that angst. Should you get a late model iMac WordPerfect will be a thing of tha past. having said that Office 2011 is a great suite, the best going around.

C

chas_m

I wasn't even aware anyone was still making WordPerfect.

To use it on the Mac you will need to run Windows in a virtualization environment (you could also use Boot Camp but that's not likely to be practical for your needs).

Reaction score
I gave up WP in 1995 and have been using MS Word since. I don't miss reveal codes at all, but there is a learning curve to doing things the Word way and if you don't have to switch away from WP (compatibility with others if sharing Word documents is the biggest reason I would think) then might think twice. I run some old Windows software on my Mac using Windows in Parallels Convergence, and those programs can open files kept in the Apple folder system, but that option seems expensive and awkward.

You might like using Apple's Pages software.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
For a while I ran WP 5.1 (DOS version) in a Wine Bottle using Darwine, but finally gave up. Agree with you, I really miss the reveal codes capability. You can sort of do this in MS Word, but it isn't the same.

FWIW I still miss WordStar, the best Word Processor ever made. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Curious - have you ever tried Joe as a Wordstar workalike?

No, never even heard of it. Last WordStar clone I used was the code writing portion of Turbo Pascal, since that used WS commands, and that has been almost 20 years ago.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For a while I ran WP 5.1 (DOS version) in a Wine Bottle using Darwine, but finally gave up. Agree with you, I really miss the reveal codes capability. You can sort of do this in MS Word, but it isn't the same.

I still have my original set of WP 5.1 3.5" floppy disks. For kicks, I may install it using Crossover or WINE (I have both running on my iMac). Threw away my WordStar stuff long ago because it was on 5.25" floppies. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still have my original set of WP 5.1 3.5" floppy disks. For kicks, I may install it using Crossover or WINE (I have both running on my iMac). Threw away my WordStar stuff long ago because it was on 5.25" floppies. :)

I had a pair of 8inch drives and floppies for the longest (CPM) but finally pitched them. I am very bad (like many of us here) with holding onto stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.