Dvd Install Imac

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Apple Mac Mini MD387LL/A, I know it comes with no DVD/CD drive and a superdrive is adaptible, just curious, I have about 20 Dvd drives is it possible to hook any of them to the imac, have all types.Thanks for any info.
Jim

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I have about 20 Dvd drives is it possible to hook any of them to the imac, have all types.Thanks for any info.

Why ask? Just start plugging them in and see if one or more works!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just purchased a new Apple Mac Mini MD387LL/A, I know it comes with no DVD/CD drive and a superdrive is adaptible, just curious, I have about 20 Dvd drives is it possible to hook any of them to the imac, have all types.Thanks for any info.
Jim

By the way...your thread title says "iMac"...and you mentioned "iMac"...in your post. But your question seems to relate to a Mac-Mini you just purchased. I'm not sure how the "iMac" is related to the Mac-Mini question.:Confused:

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry for the mistakes, I am new to the Apple world, the reason I asked about the Dvd, was because of my inexpierience, as I have not yet recieved the computer, I thought it might save some time if anything but a superdrive would even be feasible

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...as I have not yet recieved the computer...

I see!;) Sometimes the term "just purchased" can be a confusing statement...since (I think) to most people..."just purchased" means you got it.:)

Of course when you buy things online..."just purchased" means something different (credit card/Paypal was used...but the item not yet received).

I thought it might save some time if anything but a superdrive would even be feasible

Since this CD/DVD drive would be used externally...there's a pretty good chance that as long as one, some, or all of these 20 CD/DVD drives you have are in an external case with a USB interface...I think that there's a good chance at least one of them will work.:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

I have two such external DVD drives and both work just fine through the USB ports of my MacBookPro and iMac. My wife has an older MacMini that has the drive internally, but it, too has used the externals through the USB port, so it's likely one of the drives (assuming they are all functional) should work.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have two such external DVD drives and both work just fine through the USB ports of my MacBookPro and iMac. My wife has an older MacMini that has the drive internally, but it, too has used the externals through the USB port, so it's likely one of the drives (assuming they are all functional) should work.
Thanks for the helpful replies, I have enclosures and adapters that I have used several times, again thanks , very helpful,
Jim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.