• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing MiniDV into iMac

Reaction score
At home, I've had a G4 with Final Cut Pro 5 for many years, it's still working fine. But, at my new job, they provided me with a new beautiful iMac, the latest and greatest, 27" screen, big time processor, RAMM, etc.

The problem is, I have miniDV that I want to import. I understand Apple is dropping Firewire, as evidenced by the fact that I have Thunderbolt ports on the back of this iMac.

My DV source is Sony DCRVX2000. I am hearing rumors that, even with the Thunderbolt Firewire Adapter, I may still not be able to get this iMac to recognize that "old" DV source deck.

Must specify first that I originally wanted to purchase Final Cut Pro X, but Mac folks have warned me against it, saying iMovie will suit my needs here.

So. . .how can I import this miniDV footage?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You can only import miniDV by using a Firewire cable, so the only option is to buy an adaptor and give it a try. Or import onto your G4 and then transfer the file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.