Kingston Ram upgrade shorted battery life

Reaction score
Hi,

I just upgraded my macbook pro 13" early 2011 from 4G ram to 16G ram (2 X Kingston 8G slots)
After the upgrade I noticed that the battery is getting empty in much higher rate than before the upgrade.

Did anyone have the same problem?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does the Kingston memory match the timing/speed setting of the Apple memory you removed? Even if the Kingston RAM was way faster or more power hungry than the Apple memory, I'm not sure the logic board would provide the necessary power retarding the timing of the Kingston RAM..

I'd be hard pressed to explain the increase battery consumption with the memory replacement. Can you do a test by charging the battery to full, then allow it to discharge for an hour or so with the Kingston RAM, note the battery left. Then switch back to Apple memory, charge back to full and discharge for the same amount with the same applications and so on and compare the percentages..

OP
Y
Reaction score
The Kingston memory matches the apple memory - 1333MHz
As for the test you suggest, I don't have the apple memory with me anymore

To give you an idea what I'm talking about - the battery looses 10% in less than 20mins

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How many cycles do you have on your battery? I would imagine a MBP from 2011 should still have pretty good battery life..

I don't own a MBP, so my experience with battery life/length is limited..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

I just upgraded my macbook pro 13" early 2011 from 4G ram to 16G ram (2 X Kingston 8G slots)
After the upgrade I noticed that the battery is getting empty in much higher rate than before the upgrade.

Did anyone have the same problem?

It's unusual for a ram upgrade to have a measurable effect on battery life. Sometimes when folks do something like a ram upgrade...they suddenly may pay extra close attention to the details of how their computer is operating.

I'm going to suggest that the battery discharge rate was probably exactly the same before the ram upgrade...as it now is after the ram upgrade.

Unless you can reinstall the original ram that was replaced/upgraded so we can determine the battery discharge rate with the "old" ram"...there is really no way for us to make any further conclusions.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As for the test you suggest, I don't have the apple memory with me anymore

If you "JUST" upgraded the ram as mentioned in post #1...where did the "old" ram go so quickly?

To give you an idea what I'm talking about - the battery looses 10% in less than 20mins

Having this info really doesn't help...since we do not know what the discharge rate was before the ram upgrade. Also...10% battery discharge in 20 minutes is a variable statistic...since the battery discharge rate is highly dependent on what a person does on the computer for those 20 minutes.

Different activities can have different battery discharge rates.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.