convert WMA to MP3

Reaction score
Is there a recommended and legal way to convert WMA DRM-protected audio file and then transfer converted file to Apple-formatted iPod Touch?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but there is no "legal" way to remove DRM encryption in the U.S. Hence, not a matter up for discussion in these forums as we abide by U.S. law.

C

chas_m

Re-buy the song from iTunes (or Amazon, et al). Apple doesn't use DRM (the record companies demanded it some years ago, but not any more).

This is the problem with Windows Audio DRM. It punishes the people who actually buy the stuff rather than the people who are determined to steal.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is the problem with DRM. It punishes the people who actually buy the stuff rather than the people who are determined to steal.
Fixed that for you. All DRM is bad including WM DRM, FairPlay and of course, the DRM laden games that are coming out (EA...).

C

chas_m

Agreed. That's what I was proud of Steve Jobs (and Eddy Cue) for persuading the record companies that Fairplay was a waste of time and effort, and subsequently removed it from iTunes (AND offered a cheap path to removing it from already-bought songs while doubling the audio quality at the same time -- now handled by iTunes Match).

EA is learning the hard way ... though I have to say that if there weren't SOME form of anti-piracy in place, the game market would collapse from piracy almost overnight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.