Apple airport express base stations and D-Link N300 problems

Reaction score
I have been using an old airport express (airport utility 5.6.1) on my IMac (running 10.8.2). I also had a second AES connected to my stereo to stream from I-Tunes. The range and number of devices on the AES created some issues so I recently purchased a D-Link 300+ router (DIR 655).

I connected to the internet no problem, but it would not detect the AES on the stereo. I was able to plug in the old AES and connect via ethernet to the new router and then I could detect the stereo AES, but only through the old AES router.

I want to just run it all through the new D-Link. I have tried to re-set the old AES and configure it with the new D-Link, but it will not work and now I cannot even detect the old AES systems, even though it has a green light.

Are these systems compatible? Seems that it should be but as nothing is working, I am not sure. Any help out there?

Thanks
Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm unclear what the AE is doing with your iMac but this is how I'd set it up.

Connect your iMac wirelessly to your D-Link router. Check the Internet connection works ok.

Reset the AE you want to use connected to your stereo. Use Airport Utility to configure the AE to join an existing network, have it connect to the D-Link.

That should be that. You don't need the second AE.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks - I did do that and had it successfully linked - but only when it is set up close to the D-Link. It seems that the D-Link, despite claiming to have better range, will not transit once AE is connected to the stereo (~15 feet and a few walls). I have since returned it and will explore another option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That d-link is an excellent router. If you have a "wi-fi unfriendly" home it may be worth considering a pair of Ethernet over power adapters to get to the harder to reach areas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.