Backing Up Apple Mail Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi Folks!
I'm using OS X 10.6.8 and had an idea about backing up mail messages. I'd like to pass it by you all first, as each of you know far more about this program that I will ever understand. (No matter how much I read & how hard I try...)

At home, we are switching ISP companies, thus getting all new E-Mail addresses. We would like to save the existing e-mail messages, both sent & received. Instead of backing up all of our existing messages individually (there are thousands) as rtf, or doing a "Save All" and having one giant pdf- I had an idea.

What would happen if I made a normal Mail archive of the mailboxes, then deleted the accounts that are from the old ISP out of Mail program. I would keep the new ISP accounts in Mail.

Later, if we needed to see a message from the archive & re-imported the archive, would it wipe out our existing mail account messages, or show up separately? Then, could I re-archive just those we restored temporarily?

Am I crazy? Am I making too big a project out of this? Is there a more rational method I somehow missed?

Thank you all for any ideas & comments! They are appreciated.
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.