Last Modified Date Question

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is there any way to confirm a last modified date has not been changed (thus is the original last modified date)? I missed the submission deadline for an essay and am trying to show my teacher that the essay was done on time.

Best,
sottovoce

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

The last modified date would change as you modify the file/contents..but leave it alone and it will remain at the previous date..

Interesting that you would use the modification date since most places that accept online submissions use the submission time to determine if you're on time or late..

OP
S
Reaction score
I had thought that I had submitted it but apparently it did not go through. The point is, that I want to prove to the teacher that I had not tampered with the last modified date, because I am sure he knows that there are ways to do this (and I do as well). Is there anyway to prove that the last modified date is the original, and has not been tampered with at all? Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can't really tamper with the modified date, but you can "reset" it by perhaps going back to a Time Machine backed up copy of the file or something..

Anyway, there is no way of showing that you haven't tampered with it as far as I know..

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for your swift replies and help, Raz0rEdge.

If anyone can confirm that there is no way to tamper with the last modified date other than resetting to a Time Machine copy, that would be great.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.