MacBook Pro Retina Bootcamp - Install 7 to External?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina 2012 2.3Ghz 16GB 256GB SSD
Hey guys,

I have my MBP here and at one time I had Windows 7 dual booted on it but I removed it due to spacial constraints. I do have a 2TB USB 2 drive and 16GB of RAM so I can easily use that but how does one successfully install to an external and boot from it on a rMBP? I tried earlier and it doesn't seem to want to take it. I'd like very much to be able to play Skyrim and Oblivion without paying for some virtualization software. (My needs for other software, Crossover does the job.)

Anyone here know what the status is? Windows 8 MAY be a possibility if someone can confirm that:

Skyrim and Oblivion fully work on it, along with most/all mods, TES CS/Creation Kit

And the best free start button restorer. I hate Windows 8's interface, I have to use it work and it sucks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check out this Mac OS Hint from the Hints Forum run by MacWorld Magazine. The author shows how to legally install Windows 7 on an external hard drive using the Boot Camp assistant. Let us know if this works for you. LINK

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina 2012 2.3Ghz 16GB 256GB SSD
Thanks, I will when I do more with my physics work I have to do tonight (I'm behind, sadly)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.