HELP: Carrying Game Saves From An Old Ipad To A New Ipad!

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm using an Ipad 1st Gen but I just bought an Ipad 4th Gen with Retina Display. I want to configure it as a new Ipad and I don't want to use my old Ipad's backup. But, I desperately need to get my game save files from it and want to use these saves on my new Ipad. I know that I can do that with using the old system backup but I don't want to because it's a new Ipad and I want make a fresh start :) I don't want Jailbreaking or using my ex Ipad's system datas, all I want is my save files. I heard an app called iExplorer but I don't know how to use it and it is pricey. There must be a simple way to do what I want. Please help me to carry them to my new Ipad. By the way I'm using Mountain Lion, not a Windows. I'm waiting for your help, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Restoring your backup will do no harm and is the easiest and cheapest way to acheive what you want.
It's no like a byte for byte restore. You start with the latest version of iOS on the new ipad and its just your data and settings that are restored onto that fresh iOS install.

If you really don't want to restore a backup then I can thoroughly recommend iExplorer.

If you want to go down this route I can tell you where to find the save files and what to copy.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Restoring a backup is the easiest way, except I think the 1st gen iPad can't run the version of iOS that is running on the latest iPad. So the backups won't be from the same version of iOS and likely not going to work.

Finding the specific save files through programs like iExplorer are your best bet..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Restoring a backup is the easiest way, except I think the 1st gen iPad can't run the version of iOS that is running on the latest iPad. So the backups won't be from the same version of iOS and likely not going to work.

Finding the specific save files through programs like iExplorer are your best bet..

iOS isn't restored. Moving cross-version is not a problem. It's just user/app data and settings that are restored.... And the app installs if the restore is done through iTunes instead of iCloud

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realize that iOS isn't restored, but wouldn't iOS 6.x complain about a backup file created in iOS 4.x??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's probably 5.x But that doesn't matter it's what takes the backup rather than the operating system it's coming from.

The actually backup file is reasonably version independant

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh good to know..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can confirm this - upgraded a friends iPhone 3GS from iOS 4 to iOS 6 a couple of months ago. It had never been connected to a computer so it was treated like a new device and had to sync it with a fresh install of iTunes on a Windows machine.

He was prepared to lose everything just in case it didn't work out, but, he had all all his contacts, pics, apps, etc. by doing the backup prior to and then restoring the backup after the upgrade.

OP
S
Reaction score
The thing is I don't want any of my pictures, apps, settings or system datas, I just want save datas of the games that I want. Not all of them... If there is no other option, please tell me how to use iExplorer. By the way, I don't want to buy it so please tell me that the demo of iExplorer will be enough :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're going to need the full version of iExplorer and your going to have to install the games you want the saves for first.

Once connected you can browse certain folder structures in iExplorer. You need to go into the Applications folder, find the game you're interested in and make a copy of the documents and library folder. Copy these somewhere onto your Mac. Repeat for all games you want.
Now connect your new device and copy the folders back into the appropriate game folders replacing the documents and library folders that are already there.

Once done, disconnect and restart your new device.

I really like iExporer. It's come in handy many times. I believe it's worth the outlay.

However, I still believe a backup and restore. Then deleting what you don't want. Or deleting what you don't want then a backup and restore is still the best, most likely to succeed and less prone to user error than the manual iExplorer way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.